Order Now or Wait for 2015 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixpointoh03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much more is the Msrp going to be on the new 8spd vs the 6spd. If I would of know it was going to come out in 2015.5 I prolly would of waited but when I ordered mine the dealer said 2016 and I couldn't wait that long. Might call and give them a ear full maybe they will give me a good deal on a 2015.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Anyone that thinks the 6-speed won't devalue much vs. the 8-speed units are definitely incorrect. Trying to be a "ginea pig" on the transmission? We are all ginea pigs on the entire truck! Remember, this 6.2L direct injection engine, although similar to the old unit, is NOT the same as the previous generation 6.2L. The 8-speed unit shares some components with the current 6-speed and is built in the same Toledo, Ohio plant.

The 6.2L equipped trucks with the 8-speed transmissions are going to drive COMPLETELY different than the old setup. Shifts will be faster, more responsive, the 1st gear ratio is shorter, the final drive taller, two overdrive gears, etc., etc. 0-60 will be shaved and fuel mileage higher.

This is nearly the same transmission in the Corvette Z06 and Stingray, with different programming. Imagine what a Diablo sport tuner, plugged into a 2015.5 Yukon Denali would/could do for shift speeds (for those performance-minded individuals). I also have a feeling that in addition to the 8-speed transmission and 4G/LTE On-Star additions, there will be other minor updates that will arrive with the 4th quarter models.

I sold my 2015 Denali today and will take delivery of an October build 2015.5. The $2k hit is WELL worth it in driving experience and resale.

My thoughts as well. There are going to be many years' worth of 8-speed Denalis produced and only one year of 6-speeds.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who think mpg will be greatly improved with the 8 spd think again. At some point taller overdrive gears don't work. It will downshift on the slightest hill. Anybody who has a NBS or NNBS with 3.08 gears knows what I am talking about. The 3.45 geared trucks do a little bit less of that.
There is just too much weight and too much frontal area to turn the low rpms on the hwy that corvettes have done since the c5.
Where mpg savings will come from is the 8spds ability to essentially run 1 pump instead of 2, which will help greatly with parasitic losses.
If GM were smart they would also make the doors aluminum as well as the suspension components and try to get 250 lbs out of them.
GM definitely went evolutionary on K2XX.
If they could get the weight down to what the Gmt800 NBS was the 60 hp increase would be very noticeable.

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever...the 8-speed Denali will be better than the 6-speed. That's the bottom line. Just drive every other competitors' vehicles with more advanced transmission systems.

Mileage aside, the vehicle's power train will be much more responsive and always be in a better rev band.

It's just going to be a better package.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait until 2016, let them get some bugs worked out first.
will it be a GM 8spd or sourced elsewhere?

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an all-GM 8-speed produced in the Toledo, Ohio Powertrain Assembly Plant (where all of the 6-speeds are currently produced). BTW, the 8-speed is LIGHTER than the 6-speed due to use of magnesium and other lightweight metals vs. the 6-speed

Last edited:

NOVA99

Reaction score
My Dealer just told me that they got some confirmation that the 8-speed is coming in the Escalade and that the 360 degree camera is coming on the Platinum Escalade - but he did not get confirmation about the timeline of availability on the transmission for the Denali, but will let me know as soon as they hear for sure.
Purchase an X5. Wish I would have kept mine. They have had monstrous V8s, Surround View Cams, and 8SPD ZF Trans for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap