performance mods on new 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southernstyle

Reaction score
okay so i havent been on here since my transmission swap went horribly wrong and took three days and a plasma cutter to remove. the previous owner apparently already changed the trans and put the wrong bolts in the torque converter(looked like something from the local hardware store). thats old news though the new is im about to pick up an 06 yukon xl from a family member for next to nothing for a donor truck. the body is beat up but the motor and other parts are in great shape. im gonna freshen up the motor and change the cam and springs along with main bearings and rings. im unsure about the route im gonna take on the tune. anyone have any suggestions for things i can do for performance would be appreciatted. i want more low and mid range because i have a 23' boat that i pull but still like to play.

mmeachem

Reaction score
I think most people will say

Electric Fans
Cold Air Intake
Exhaust System
Headers
Tune

If I missed anything someone should chime in

OP
OP
S

Southernstyle

Reaction score
srry.. i should have mentioned i already have a flowmaster exhaust 2.5" to a 3.5"x18" tip and was looking at the k&n intakes but dont really care for the oiled filter. so im open to suggestions. also ive seen several types of headers and was wondering which would work best on my truck. i want good sound and performance and something that actually fits with minimal modification. also has anyone one hear changed there rockers and was it worth changing them? i really like the e-fans idea though. thnx. didnt even think about that.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are changing cams, you may want to spec a TC while you are at it.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use the electric fans out of the 06, it should have them. but keep in mind, they wont work on your truck until you have it tuned

as far as the intake, i like the look of s&b intakes the best, but in all reality you should prob just get whichever you can get the best deal on.

headers, personally id check with calspeed first, then check on some thorleys thru bbp

rockers, ive seen mention around here of some stock ones you can run off another vehicle that are alittle bigger then stock tahoe/yukon rockers. but if youre getting a cam, just base your cam choice off your stock rocker ratio. i dont think the rockers on the our trucks are rollers, so thatd be a decent upgrade, but rollers are alot louder.

Sprayed99

Reaction score
rockers, ive seen mention around here of some stock ones you can run off another vehicle that are alittle bigger then stock tahoe/yukon rockers. but if youre getting a cam, just base your cam choice off your stock rocker ratio. i dont think the rockers on the our trucks are rollers, so thatd be a decent upgrade, but rollers are alot louder.

Do not waste your hard earned money on rockers. If you are just pressed to play with them go with the comp trunion replacement kit or CHE trunion bushing replacements. Aftermarket rockers will do nothing for you unless you plan on spending 1K plus on some jesels. In fact in most applications they create more over the valve stem weight and you can have a power loss at higher RPMS.

To the OP

You need to outline your goals and be very specific.

Saying you tow a 23' boat is great info, but weight of said boat would be better. Do you tow this or any other traliers over long periods? Do you have steap inclines you tow on and over?

What do you mean by play? more specific what are your driving habits?

Most importantly are you educated and capable of installing and troubleshooting yourself for this project? <(this is a honest question, not a insult).

What is your budget.

BTW Justin is a great tuner (BB). However tuning in person or emailing logs back and worth while using a quality wideband are the most effective ways.

If you need a reference of my past with the LS based platforms I can provide links.

Let me also be clear I'm not trying to sell you a damn thing. Just trying to help point you in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES