Planning on replacing tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JR79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 tahoe with 3 bad tpms. I'm planning on replacing them myself. Found a few threads about resetting monitor. Any other important info would be appreciated.

Jonathan Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just had 4 new ones installed on my 05 tahoe, since whoever installed the rims prior didn't put any in. I bought the AC delcos (part #15114379) from Rock Auto, there are cheaper ebay knock offs, but if one fails you have to dismount the tire, so there goes the savings. The tire shop resynced the sensors for me during the install but you can do it manually if need be. there is a procedure, involving flashing the lights 4 times, while the parking brake is set and going around and letting air out until the vehicle honks, but you can find a video on youtube for that.

OP
OP
JR79

JR79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What I was really wondering was does the actual installation involve more than threading the valve stem of the sensor through the rim and tightening the nut? I know after installation all sensors must be re synched. I enjoy doing these things myself, just didn't want to get in over my head. Thanks

Jonathan Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i believe you have to dismount the wheel if the sensor bat dies, they are a stick on product so if you can dismount yourself you can do it with out a shop.

OP
OP
JR79

JR79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool. Sounds good. Thanks for the info Johnathon.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Davis; why not go with the Dorman or schrader TPMS sensor for half the price?

Last edited:

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just went theough this decision process on my 06denali xl and afaik you cannot "learn new sensors" yourself using the light flash and tire presure release procedure.

that is the correct procedure for if you have rotated tires and you need to reassign what position the sensors are in. But to introduce a brand-new sensor to your computer system, I believe you need to go to the dealer, or to a tire shop at the tool, or you can purchase your own tool I believe it's about $100

OP
OP
JR79

JR79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply VikingTrad3r. Do you know what tool is required? A scanner compatible with gm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIGHHOPES