Popping noise when taking off from stop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually only when I gas it hard. I changed the LCA bushings last summer. I checked them and they are still holding up. Could it be the struts? I also hear a squeaking noise at low speeds to. Shop said breaks look fine when I took it in for the squeak.

I tried making it do it more. But it eventually just stopped. No noise when changing gears from park to drive etc. any thing I can do to narrow it down.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like broken motor mount. Common problem in this generation. Good idea to replace both and transmission mount at the same time.
It was like a binding buckling. At first it would do it more than once. Like back to back pops. Than it just stopped eventually. I was only able to record the one pop. Still think motor mouths could be culprit ?
and @OR VietVet I did do my LCA bushings in the front. Where are they located in the rear? I do believe the noise is coming from the front left. Could be wrong.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s occurring under acceleration. My $’s on Motor mount(s), front or rear sway bar bushings.

One time I had a miniature keg of Heineken from Costco making that sound while rolling around in back hitting the seats.

View attachment 435949
Hahaha I’ll check the rear to make sure nothing is rolling around. But where all the bushings located? I changed the long ones in the front. I think those are the LCA ones. Not sure about bushings in the rear.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
IMG_2165.jpegThe sway bar bushings are about 3/4 from center of each sway bar.

Bushing is the red poly type here.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
things it could be
1. motor mounts, the gmt900 oem ones are liquid filled over time these wear out rip/tear and the acid like fuid leaks out under them. inspect visually with flashlight for a dark liquid looking area under the mounts, the drivers side usually leaves it on the front diff housing.
you can also pop the hood and either peek thru the gap under the hood or get a helper while putting it in drive and reverse and give it some gas and see if the motor moves around left/right it should only move a tiny bit if at all, if it moves a lot that's your sign.
2. front diff mounts, the rubber deteriorates over time and it them has a lot of play, you would need to get under it with a pry bar and see if it moves too easily or not
3. swar bar bushings or end links worn out, broken off.

the squeak noise could be brake pads or hub bearings, this would not be related to your pop noise unless the brakes were totally fubar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jocooter