Pulsing lights...??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ive been going through my Hoe and doing some fixes that ive been neglecting because of too much work, but now im on to the next item of my list, I tend to work on my Hoe at night sometimes and ive noticed that while shes running I can look at the headlights against the fence and I can see a slight flicker, along with the the voltage meter just slightly flickering with the rhythm of the motor, and that's with nothing on but the running lights, when I have my stereo, front fogs, rear fogs, heater or anything else on it doesn't do it...That being said, ive gone through and done the Big 3 upgrade a while back with 0 gauge ground cable from battery to frame, and frame to motor, then 8 guage to body (which soon will be changed to 0 guage), ive left the factory ground straps intact and removed and cleaned the connections so im pretty sure im grounded pretty good... Im a novice at newer vehicles, older vehicles I can take apart and put back together blindfolded, am I missing something??

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check it? Mines charging fine, I don't have any issues other than that, is that a tell tale sign its about to go out?

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe not a sign that its going out but that its just getting old and not as efficient as it was when new. Does your dash lights dim in syn with your head lights?

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea it does, but like I said its just a slight flicker....hmmmm guess its time to upgrade it...

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I see, is there I saw some threads talking about a newer year alternator with more output that fits a 98 Hoe, any ideas which one? Part number maybe? I have a 105amp unit now, and like my Dad says if you replace it, upgrade it...

mudslinger96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 tahoe 5.3l altenator on my 96 yukon perfect fit no mods required i believe it is 130 amp

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 tahoe 5.3l altenator on my 96 yukon perfect fit no mods required i believe it is 130 amp

What he said. That's what I put in mine as well. I run a lot electronics in mine as well and will be putting on off road led lights soon. Sometime this spring I'm going to do the duel battery in mine but I will run one alternator with a switch. I would run two but I'm fixing to get a super charger and I don't even want think about trying to put all that under the hood and have it look good lol.

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put a digital meter on the alt output you will find teh inconsistant voltage. Its from a faulty diode starting to feed back through the other diodes and confusing the internal voltage regulator. Once you change out the alternator the flickering will be cured. If you go too much bigger on teh alternator you might want to keep an eye on the battery condition. Higher amp output can cook a standard battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968