Rail Dust - Surface Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I have noticed an increase in the amount of visible surface rust on my 2022 Denali. There are very small orange spots all over the doors and tail gate. It is very clear that it is rail dust from transportation. I took it to the dealer today for an oil change and had them look at it. The service manager says that GM does not accept claims for rail dust, but he agrees that is exactly what it is. He recommended I take it to their body shop to have them wet sand and polish - at what I'm sure is super cheap lol.

Sort of ridiculous in my opinion since all these trucks are open hauled on a train. Anyone else have this issue and if so, were you able to get a dealer to help out or am I on my own on this one?

Thanks in advance.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are some suggestions in this thread:

husker_fan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Iron remover spray, give that a try after a good wash, then rinse it off

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no. This is normal. All you need to do is wash the vehicle, buy an iron remover (like Iron X or Ferrex) to get the rust spots off, clay bar, and wax your vehicle. You should always wax after using an iron remover or clay bar.

You should clay and wax your car twice a year. Once before and once after winter. If you do that, you will have very little iron build up. Might see it more on a white car though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo