Rear main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will look into this as well. Looking at the rear right corner of the oil pan gasket the rubber molding broke. So looks like I have to change it too!!

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I will look into this as well. Looking at the rear right corner of the oil pan gasket the rubber molding broke. So looks like I have to change it too!!

Now you got me wondering if that was the source of the leak all along and not the R/M seal. Certainly is motivation for me to attack the pan gasket first instead of the R/M.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking the rear seal and the oil pan were leaking. Ive replaced the oil pan gasket several times. This will be the 3rd time. Each time I kept getting oil between the oil pan and bellhousing but not much. But recently the oil leak increased. I just ordered another fel pro gasket and pickup tube gasket. I guess i'll get the pan installed before I do the rear cover seal

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking the rear seal and the oil pan were leaking. Ive replaced the oil pan gasket several times. This will be the 3rd time. Each time I kept getting oil between the oil pan and bellhousing but not much. But recently the oil leak increased. I just ordered another fel pro gasket and pickup tube gasket. I guess i'll get the pan installed before I do the rear cover seal
There should be no leaking if you install the oil pan gasket correctly. It’s critical that it’s done like the service manual states. If you’re just installing it without following the correct procedure it will leak. There’s a specific bolt tightening sequence as well as the dabs of RTV at the 4 locations where the front and rear covers meet. The pan has to be exactly flush with the rear of the block also. Same with the rear cover. The rear cover, oil pan, and transmission all work together. That’s why I was suggesting you get access to a service manual via alldatadiy. You can get a 1- month for $20. I would post pics of the procedure but the only subscription I have right now is for my 02. I let my 08 expire. You might be able to find the procedures for the 6l80 trucks online.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the rear cover and gasket all torqued down per instructions. Did I only need to add rtv in the corners once I get the pan installed?

Watched a few youtube videos of guys installing rear main seal cover with no rtv because the oil pan was not present. and he added the rtv at the four corners once he got ready to install the oil pan. After tons of searching Im seeing people are doing this repair different ways.

I bought the AllDataDiy for my truck but it sort of told me information that I already knew. It doesnt say much about torque sequences and specs.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the rear cover and gasket all torqued down per instructions. Did I only need to add rtv in the corners once I get the pan installed?

Watched a few youtube videos of guys installing rear main seal cover with no rtv because the oil pan was not present. and he added the rtv at the four corners once he got ready to install the oil pan. After tons of searching Im seeing people are doing this repair different ways.

I bought the AllDataDiy for my truck but it sort of told me information that I already knew. It doesnt say much about torque sequences and specs.
Alldatadiy does show torque specs , you might not be using it right. Every torque spec is listed under “specifications” then look under “ mechanical specifications”. This is on the right hand side on the main page. As for the RTV, it goes at the 4 locations called for in the instructions. For the pan it’s easiest and best to look at the section dedicated to it as follows:

The pan removal and install procedure, bolt tightening sequence, and torque specs are all listed under “Engine- then “oil pan” then under oil pan information you’ll see “service and repair “ and then “ oil pan replacement”.

Take some time to get used to alldatadiy. It has every bit of information the dealer service department uses, the entire service manual set of 4-5 volumes. There’s nothing on these trucks that’s not covered, you just have to figure out how to find it. Be glad it’s digital, the books take forever to look stuff up.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I see now. But the procedures only show the process for if I had the transmission installed....I was going to try to install the rear cover then oil pan then once im able to see if's flush with the engine then I was going to mount the transmission. Am I able to do it this way or do I have to mount the transmission before the oil pan...the procedure wants me to snug the transmission to oil pan bolts but again the transmission is not hooked up.

OP
OP
L

lspann3525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And once I get the oil pan and starter back on what all has to be connected for me to crank the engine to check for leaks...

I was going to try to leave the transmission disconnected so I can see if it still leaks

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I see now. But the procedures only show the process for if I had the transmission installed....I was going to try to install the rear cover then oil pan then once im able to see if's flush with the engine then I was going to mount the transmission. Am I able to do it this way or do I have to mount the transmission before the oil pan...the procedure wants me to snug the transmission to oil pan bolts but again the transmission is not hooked up.
You can do it without the trans installed, just make sure the oil pan is flush with the back of the block. Disregard the part about snugging the transmission to oil pan bolts, but be sure to flush the pan to the block at the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap