Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Who else on here has the plugs?
Very easy mod and it only takes a few minutes . Hardest part was finding the right size plugs lol.
Think I spent less than $5 in material.
Anyway I have a few ideas bouncing around my head. I'm tired of looking at those plugs

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Ok dammit. I removed the wiper tonight and found some plugs but haven't found the right combo yet. I just kinda fitted them tonight, no paint. I'm thinking I won't leave these in for long though, I'm going to go ahead and find someone to weld an aluminum backing plate in place. My bodyshop friend quoted me $200 to do the bodywork and paint. I think I'll get it done while we still have nice weather here in the NW so I can ride my bagger to work for a couple days.

IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Wow $200 body and paint ?! Nice hook up.
A rear hatch shave is gonna be the finishing touch on the exterior for that beast.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep already looks better. Not a bad price to do that body work and paint and be done. Sweet!!

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Who else on here has the plugs?
Very easy mod and it only takes a few minutes . Hardest part was finding the right size plugs lol.
Think I spent less than $5 in material.
Anyway I have a few ideas bouncing around my head. I'm tired of looking at those plugs
Try an electrical supply store. They have plugs or different sizes to plug holes on panels. I have them at work. Will try to post a pick later. But it would be perfect for that mod

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Front side
image.jpeg

That come in many different sizes. I have 1"-4" here at work.
They don't look like much but they lye fairly flat and hold on with a wing nut. The front piece also has a o-ring so it's water proof.

Back side

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't handle the plugs, my OCD kicked in but MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THEM!!! I found a guy with a small welding business at his home. he looked at it with the plugs in and said, sure he could do it for $100. I told him the hole sizes. He told me to come back in an hour, and I removed the plugs and went back. He looked at the big hole and said he didn't know one was THAT big. He started talking about warping the door due to so much welding. I called my bodyshop and asked what he should do; they said to just weld backing plates, spot welded about every 1/8". No need to fill that huge hole. So dude welded plates in, had me look, and I could see daylight at 2 places in the big hole and there was only 4 spot welds. So he said he'd add some welds. Called me over, there was still 2 holes. Damn. So he filled them. Cool, but now it looked like ass because I swear the dude couldn't see very good. So he "buffed" the welds and ...hey, I think it's going to be ok, looks like it's fillable, strong so nothing can move, and there's very little warpage. I pay him the $100. I stayed calm the whole time even though he was stressing me out. As I'm leaving, he's standing there in his driveway/shop area and I have the driver's door open and he's chatting about my truck. He's standing on the other side of my open door. I say "thanks" and extend my hand through the open window and... there's a loud "thunk" against my door as he shakes my hand. He was f****ng standing there balancing a 15 lb piece of 3" x 3" heavy wall steel about 3' tall and when he went to shake my hand, he just let loose of it and it fell over onto my door!!! AHHHHHHH!!! So he says " I didn't know you were going to open the door, blah blah blah...I mean the door was already OPEN!!! Then he said he just scratched it.. I said no, you DENTED my door, and now it's going to cost me to have it fixed. So he offered to give me $40 back and... I said f*ck it. I took the $40 and drove away. Dude didn't look like he was doing very good and I didn't want to make his Friday end like shit. Oh well, maybe my guy can do some magic and not have to paint the whole door. NOW my OCD is in FULL EFFECT!!! Damn welded holes in the back, and a new ding in my driver door. Arrrrhhhh I need to calm down!!!

View attachment 66454

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hatch doesn't look too bad, looks fillable .As for the door , really hard to tell from the pic , unless I'm missing it , but have you ever thought about paintless dent removal ?If you do , just make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing. I had a scratch along my driver side door that was put there by a kid on a bike which fortunately didn't get into the base coat, it was wet sanded out. Think that'll work ?I hope it isn't too bad for you.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I can see a small ding , count from the mail box in the reflection it's between the 3rd and 4th bush. Small but still shouldn't be there!!! Damn I would've been piiiisssed. Should be a easy removal and maybe a touch up paint away from being barely noticeable (except by you of course, and now all of us :oops:)

And at least the hatch looks ok, but damn what a headache. I have ocd just as bad but I'm not gonna let it get the best of me and rush things cause I know my luck and it never works out :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Youkon_Guy