Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I did. Stitched it together! Got the new cover painted though so it’s ready to go. I’ll install it when I do the new ignition switch which will be here tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 4

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That’s what I did. Stitched it together! Got the new cover painted though so it’s ready to go. I’ll install it when I do the new ignition switch which will be here tomorrow.
Did you use SEM to paint the plastic? Along with some adhesion promoter?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the ignition switch and harness today along with the new column cover. No difference in the trans- as soon as it was up to operating temp it failed. But there’s something going on because when I moved the shifter lever up as I was manually shifting, twice the ignition cut out momentarily, like before. It wasn’t enough to kill the engine but the stereo reset and the battery light came on. And then in my driveway back home I actually killed the engine twice while messing around putting it into park a few times. It started right up right after both times. Weird. I got the ECM today so that might be next.

Attachments

• B70EA5C1-79D9-44D4-BEF5-CE055610EE77.jpeg
    B70EA5C1-79D9-44D4-BEF5-CE055610EE77.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 8
  • 99F1A8B6-DA8C-4F77-9968-EBE0F1AA06BA.jpeg
    99F1A8B6-DA8C-4F77-9968-EBE0F1AA06BA.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 8
  • C4EDB092-1999-4ADC-867E-705C453A02F3.jpeg
    C4EDB092-1999-4ADC-867E-705C453A02F3.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 8

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the ignition switch and harness today along with the new column cover. No difference in the trans- as soon as it was up to operating temp it failed. But there’s something going on because when I moved the shifter lever up as I was manually shifting, twice the ignition cut out momentarily, like before. It wasn’t enough to kill the engine but the stereo reset and the battery light came on. And then in my driveway back home I actually killed the engine twice while messing around putting it into park a few times. It started right up right after both times. Weird. I got the ECM today so that might be next.
shift interlock? that's the only thing connected to the shifter besides the tow haul button, moving the shifter handle up shouldn't do anything there is just a spring behind it

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shift interlock? that's the only thing connected to the shifter besides the tow haul button, moving the shifter handle up shouldn't do anything there is just a spring behind it
What controls the PRNDL display in the cluster? Maybe the ECM? Another thing I just noticed when I replaced the ignition switch and harness is now the key in ignition chime is on when the door is open. I checked the little switch that tells the system the key is in with a dvm, it works exactly like the one I removed. I manually operated it without it being mounted in the column. Same thing. So now I can’t use the door switch to lock the doors because it thinks the key is in and it won’t let me lock them inside. I’ll try swapping the old harness back in tomorrow. It seems like more electrical problems are starting to happen. Also, I’m wondering if it could be a ground or the ECM is failing when it gets warm. When the truck is cold I have zero issues, until it warms up. So weird.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What controls the PRNDL display in the cluster? Maybe the ECM? Another thing I just noticed when I replaced the ignition switch and harness is now the key in ignition chime is on when the door is open. I checked the little switch that tells the system the key is in with a dvm, it works exactly like the one I removed. I manually operated it without it being mounted in the column. Same thing. So now I can’t use the door switch to lock the doors because it thinks the key is in and it won’t let me lock them inside. I’ll try swapping the old harness back in tomorrow. It seems like more electrical problems are starting to happen. Also, I’m wondering if it could be a ground or the ECM is failing when it gets warm. When the truck is cold I have zero issues, until it warms up. So weird.
I have no idea, but it sounds like a short in the steering column somewhere.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevy the wires going from the ignition switch etc... there is sharp metal under there, could be one is chaffed...

If you have a multi meter, check the ohm of the grounds to battery. Anything over .3 ohms is too high....

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I decided today was the day to swap the ECM. I got the laptop out and paid for another VIN for the SPS system on Tis2000. It took forever on my pos laptop, and that was inside the house. Then I connected everything up inside the truck- the laptop and the Tech2 and all the cabling. Pulled the radio fuse and ECM cover under the hood. Then turned on the laptop and clicked on the SPS menu, chose Tech2 pass through, program and replace ECU, in vehicle, and waited. For 10 minutes and nothing. So I thought I’d see how fast web pages were loading. 5 minutes later and it was only half loaded. This pos laptop has been getting slower and slower, especially after I installed win10 on it. I wanted to smash it in the driveway.I’ll wait until I get the stuff off it I want, then it’s gonna get the sledge-o-matic. I ordered a better refurbished HP off Amazon. It better be faster. I think this one I have is 10 years old. But I’m not going to take a chance on this thing quitting or hanging up in the middle of programming my ECU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM