Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well I decided today was the day to swap the ECM. I got the laptop out and paid for another VIN for the SPS system on Tis2000. It took forever on my pos laptop, and that was inside the house. Then I connected everything up inside the truck- the laptop and the Tech2 and all the cabling. Pulled the radio fuse and ECM cover under the hood. Then turned on the laptop and clicked on the SPS menu, chose Tech2 pass through, program and replace ECU, in vehicle, and waited. For 10 minutes and nothing. So I thought I’d see how fast web pages were loading. 5 minutes later and it was only half loaded. This pos laptop has been getting slower and slower, especially after I installed win10 on it. I wanted to smash it in the driveway.I’ll wait until I get the stuff off it I want, then it’s gonna get the sledge-o-matic. I ordered a better refurbished HP off Amazon. It better be faster. I think this one I have is 10 years old. But I’m not going to take a chance on this thing quitting or hanging up in the middle of programming my ECU.
Is it possible to add memory to it? That might be the issue. More programming added taking up more memory.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to add memory to it? That might be the issue. More programming added taking up more memory.
I don’t think so, pretty sure I looked into that a couple years ago. Besides it’s almost as much as buying a better used computer. I just ordered one for $200 that has more memory and a SSD. It says it’s HP’s latest model, just not brand new. I’ll get it Thursday. I’m in no hurry, pretty much waiting on BB to get back to me. Hey @BlackBearPerf Shannon are you there? Can you tell Justin my truck is down until he looks at my data log I emailed him?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Generally for upgrading an older PC you'd get the most bang for the buck by replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Obviously you'd want as much RAM, too, but many are already loaded with as much as they can take, and RAM can be expensive for older PCs.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I decided today was the day to swap the ECM. I got the laptop out and paid for another VIN for the SPS system on Tis2000. It took forever on my pos laptop, and that was inside the house. Then I connected everything up inside the truck- the laptop and the Tech2 and all the cabling. Pulled the radio fuse and ECM cover under the hood. Then turned on the laptop and clicked on the SPS menu, chose Tech2 pass through, program and replace ECU, in vehicle, and waited. For 10 minutes and nothing. So I thought I’d see how fast web pages were loading. 5 minutes later and it was only half loaded. This pos laptop has been getting slower and slower, especially after I installed win10 on it. I wanted to smash it in the driveway.I’ll wait until I get the stuff off it I want, then it’s gonna get the sledge-o-matic. I ordered a better refurbished HP off Amazon. It better be faster. I think this one I have is 10 years old. But I’m not going to take a chance on this thing quitting or hanging up in the middle of programming my ECU.

So you haven't programmed anything on the Denali prior to this? I thought you had. And you should be able to program it using TIS2000 directly, without subscription.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you haven't programmed anything on the Denali prior to this? I thought you had. And you should be able to program it using TIS2000 directly, without subscription.
No, just the Silverado. I already paid for another VIN. But yes, you need to pay to program modules. $40 per VIN for 2 years to program unlimited modules.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Without subscription? What else can you program without a subscription?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Without subscription? What else can you program without a subscription?

As I understand it, NBS. TIS2000 has the calibrations, and I've used it to update mine. You can also use TIS2web, but that's the subscription, for NNBS (and also works for NBS).

EDIT: The TIS2000 disc came with my Tech 2.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, NBS. TIS2000 has the calibrations, and I've used it to update mine. You can also use TIS2web, but that's the subscription, for NNBS (and also works for NBS).
Oh, you’re talking about the CD that comes with the Tech2 that you need to run on XP. I use the web version, I messed with that that old version forever and all I got was frustration. I tried to uninstall it but it keeps looking for some required files and it won’t uninstall so the icon is still on my desktop. And it doesn’t work. :mad:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, you’re talking about the CD that comes with the Tech2 that you need to run on XP. I use the web version, I messed with that that old version forever and all I got was frustration. I tried to uninstall it but it keeps looking for some required files and it won’t uninstall so the icon is still on my desktop. And it doesn’t work. :mad:

Yes, that's the one. I have an old XP laptop and it works okay on that one.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You could always restore to an earlier date--before you downloaded it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM