Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fixed! It turns out that code it kept throwing- P0785 for the 3-2 shift solenoid- was causing the PCM to put the trans in limp mode. And Performabuilt told me they were curious what would happen if I could tune it out since their builds don't even use that solenoid. So I used my new HP Tuners to set that DTC from illuminating the DIC on the second failure to "not report" which makes it invisible to the PCM. Aha! I drove a half hour last night and then today I drove around town for an hour and even got into a bit of rallying with a Subie. It shifts great. I believe it was throwing that code more and more and since I only saw the MIL on each second failure I didn't know it was probably always there, and if it was there, the PCM was setting limp mode. Thanks to Frank @Performabuilt and @randeez and @Dantheman1540 and @pwtr02ss and anybody else I might be forgetting that helped me. This is a huge relief. I might keep the harness and electronic parts but I can return a few things. I have no plans on dropping the pan and figuring out what's up with that solenoid since I don't need it but if something else in there decides to mess up at least I'll have the parts. THE BEAST LIVES!!!!!:rockit::worthy::worship::party36::pepper::peace::lol::happy107::)

was purchasing hptuners worth it?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was purchasing hptuners worth it?
Hell yeah. I couldn't stand waiting 2 weeks for every single answer plus now I'll do some tinkering with tuning which I've always wanted to do. I waited all in all a month for Justin to get back to me, and he was no help. He actually had me believing the PCM wasn't the problem- he said it must be the wiring and it was commanding shifts fine. I don't think he even tried to help even though I offered to pay him. He doesn't have time for this stuff. Which I understand but when he's the only person you're counting on it sucks. It was his tune, he could have fixed it. IMO, of course. I was at my wit's end. I can't stand waiting a day, much less 2 weeks. Then another 2 weeks. And if I was to have him disable that code, it would have been another 2 weeks. And if that didn't do it and I needed him to do something else, another 2 weeks. I was losing it I swear. But I'm much better now....:crazy:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hell yeah. I couldn't stand waiting 2 weeks for every single answer plus now I'll do some tinkering with tuning which I've always wanted to do. I waited all in all a month for Justin to get back to me, and he was no help. He actually had me believing the PCM wasn't the problem- he said it must be the wiring and it was commanding shifts fine. I don't think he even tried to help even though I offered to pay him. He doesn't have time for this stuff. Which I understand but when he's the only person you're counting on it sucks. It was his tune, he could have fixed it. IMO, of course. I was at my wit's end. I can't stand waiting a day, much less 2 weeks. Then another 2 weeks. And if I was to have him disable that code, it would have been another 2 weeks. And if that didn't do it and I needed him to do something else, another 2 weeks. I was losing it I swear. But I'm much better now....:crazy:
I'm the same--I hate waiting on and depending on other people. Sux.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think was well worded, BBP is awesome and is what 98.4% of people especially on this forum should use for their tuning needs but..... Once you get into serious stuff and want a system to help troubleshoot or test stuff with 2 weeks is way too long to wait! That's exactly why I switched back in 2017, self-sufficiency is key in life.

Now you can look at stuff like Injector duty cycle and see if you can pulley down some for more boost :)

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think was well worded, BBP is awesome and is what 98.4% of people especially on this forum should use for their tuning needs but..... Once you get into serious stuff and want a system to help troubleshoot or test stuff with 2 weeks is way too long to wait! That's exactly why I switched back in 2017, self-sufficiency is key in life.

Now you can look at stuff like Injector duty cycle and see if you can pulley down some for more boost :)
I wish. I actually have the pulley, stashed away for the day I decide to pull the blower and install bigger injectors (thanks Whipple) and then do a dual fuel pump and 2/bar tune. My log file showed the injectors were at 98% at WOT according to Justin and my MAF was maxed out as well. I don’t doubt him on that. So off the pulley came.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish. I actually have the pulley, stashed away for the day I decide to pull the blower and install bigger injectors (thanks Whipple) and then do a dual fuel pump and 2/bar tune. My log file showed the injectors were at 98% at WOT according to Justin and my MAF was maxed out as well. I don’t doubt him on that. So off the pulley came.

Oh darn! Fuel system is a major headache if not done right, its pretty much what's been keeping me from making any more power than I already do. Despite IDC being at 70ish% I don't think the factory non flex fuel pump wants to do a whole lot more. I'm surprised your still on a MAF tune, SD is easy to go to in the future now that you have HPT.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Oh darn! Fuel system is a major headache if not done right, its pretty much what's been keeping me from making any more power than I already do. Despite IDC being at 70ish% I don't think the factory non flex fuel pump wants to do a whole lot more. I'm surprised your still on a MAF tune, SD is easy to go to in the future now that you have HPT.
Is going SD the same as just tuning out the maf? Is SD already in the pcm files?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SD is not using the MAF at all and only using the MAP sensor. All you have to do is trick the ECU into not looking at the MAF and also not freaking about about it and throwing codes. Its fairly easy to do, when you run a lot of boost you have to upgrade to a 2,3, or 4 Bar MAP sensor and then you have to do an operating system change which is also easy to do just a little more indepth.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
SD is not using the MAF at all and only using the MAP sensor. All you have to do is trick the ECU into not looking at the MAF and also not freaking about about it and throwing codes. Its fairly easy to do, when you run a lot of boost you have to upgrade to a 2,3, or 4 Bar MAP sensor and then you have to do an operating system change which is also easy to do just a little more indepth.
A tuner asked me if I wanted the maf tuned out since I constantly have a maf code stored. Doesn't light the cell but it always shows when the obd is scanned. Because of this I can't pass my state's inspection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austin19