Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now, I wonder if the harness does have an issue, hence the sudden code, or if the new solenoid you bought was bad out of the box? Its crazy that it ran fine for so long and then suddenly didn't, even without that code disabled

Did performabuilt say what they did to make the trans not need the 3-2 solenoid?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now, I wonder if the harness does have an issue, hence the sudden code, or if the new solenoid you bought was bad out of the box? Its crazy that it ran fine for so long and then suddenly didn't, even without that code disabled

Did performabuilt say what they did to make the trans not need the 3-2 solenoid?
I at least have a better idea now, since I learned that code was causing the limp mode. Nobody told me that was the case, just Performabuilt said they’d like me to disable it to see what happens. I didn’t know if the limp mode was causing the code or vice versa so it was confusing. So now I know it was the 3-2 solenoid that was the cause of everything I’m thinking it was a break in the internal harness. It’s kind of the only thing that makes sense, due to how it kept getting worse over time. Likely a wire at the connector that was almost broken and with the fluid movement it finally broke it completely. I didn’t even think to inspect it when I replaced the solenoids. I’m not sure why, I guess I was just figuring I was gonna swap that solenoid and it would be fixed.

As for Performabuilt’s build, they do a bunch of proprietary machining to different parts- even stuff they buy from companies like Sonnax. I know the valve body has some of this work done to it so I’m thinking that’s where they eliminate the need for that 3-2 downshift solenoid. But in reality I don’t know enough about transmissions to be able to guess any more than that. I do know their Black Edition 4l60e has never been broken no matter how much power has been thrown at it so they know what they’re doing. I was actually going to upgrade to that the last time it was in their hands but they talked me out of it, said it was way more than I needed plus parts were on pandemic backorder. The only times mine broke was both times right after I had done the 2000 mile filter & fluid change and used RTV on the pan gasket which clogged the servo passages and made them not release. The first time they didn’t catch it, and I did it again. They figured it out that time- it’s when I twisted the output shaft in two on a 1-2 WOT shift. It was way out of warranty by that time but they rebuilt it for free. I can’t say enough good things about them. They were emailing me in the evenings way after hours and in the weekends this last time around- I got one email from Frank at 9 PM their time. Dudes are awesome.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I at least have a better idea now, since I learned that code was causing the limp mode. Nobody told me that was the case, just Performabuilt said they’d like me to disable it to see what happens. I didn’t know if the limp mode was causing the code or vice versa so it was confusing. So now I know it was the 3-2 solenoid that was the cause of everything I’m thinking it was a break in the internal harness. It’s kind of the only thing that makes sense, due to how it kept getting worse over time. Likely a wire at the connector that was almost broken and with the fluid movement it finally broke it completely. I didn’t even think to inspect it when I replaced the solenoids. I’m not sure why, I guess I was just figuring I was gonna swap that solenoid and it would be fixed.

As for Performabuilt’s build, they do a bunch of proprietary machining to different parts- even stuff they buy from companies like Sonnax. I know the valve body has some of this work done to it so I’m thinking that’s where they eliminate the need for that 3-2 downshift solenoid. But in reality I don’t know enough about transmissions to be able to guess any more than that. I do know their Black Edition 4l60e has never been broken no matter how much power has been thrown at it so they know what they’re doing. I was actually going to upgrade to that the last time it was in their hands but they talked me out of it, said it was way more than I needed plus parts were on pandemic backorder. The only times mine broke was both times right after I had done the 2000 mile filter & fluid change and used RTV on the pan gasket which clogged the servo passages and made them not release. The first time they didn’t catch it, and I did it again. They figured it out that time- it’s when I twisted the output shaft in two on a 1-2 WOT shift. It was way out of warranty by that time but they rebuilt it for free. I can’t say enough good things about them. They were emailing me in the evenings way after hours and in the weekends this last time around- I got one email from Frank at 9 PM their time. Dudes are awesome.
I'm thinking you are correct. I like having an idea of what went wrong for future issues I may run across. This seems the mostly likely cause and the trans code was causing the limp mode.

I've followed along during at least one of trans failures and I remember Performabuilt being top notch. Even with this issue. They basically solved the problem, in a round about way. I like having answers when I have a questions and I'm going with a damaged harness...

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also entirely likely that whatever mechanical changes theyve made in the VB to not use the downshift solenoid worked 99.9% of the time. and some random precise circumstance happens and it faults because the solenoid doesnt work.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the ProLink for the HPT installed today so I’ll be able to include AFR and boost when I log data.

I had stashed the wiring from the AEM wideband right near the OBD port so it was super easy.

I made it so both cables that plug into the HPT can be stashed by popping the DS fuse cover off and putting them inside. The one that plugs into my laptop exits in the center console cubby. I labeled it because there’s a USB cable there for hooking the AEM to a laptop. I have to look at those instructions and see if I need to do that, I forgot if that’s just if I’m going to hook up the failsafe or what. I just wanted to get the wiring done for the ProLink so it’s ready.

Attachments

• 306E7E55-A7A9-4988-9880-CD494E063503.jpeg
    306E7E55-A7A9-4988-9880-CD494E063503.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1D299BFB-A322-49C9-8D99-32A8E618C4C5.jpeg
    1D299BFB-A322-49C9-8D99-32A8E618C4C5.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 11
  • E2B940D0-42B8-4483-9B88-FEF5BD599F8A.jpeg
    E2B940D0-42B8-4483-9B88-FEF5BD599F8A.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 9
  • F7EE1BEE-20E6-4876-A414-EF4BD24FEA3C.jpeg
    F7EE1BEE-20E6-4876-A414-EF4BD24FEA3C.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 9
  • ACE53344-76DF-4E68-9BF8-4E23A146367F.jpeg
    ACE53344-76DF-4E68-9BF8-4E23A146367F.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 9

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the ProLink for the HPT installed today so I’ll be able to include AFR and boost when I log data.

I had stashed the wiring from the AEM wideband right near the OBD port so it was super easy.

I made it so both cables that plug into the HPT can be stashed by popping the DS fuse cover off and putting them inside. The one that plugs into my laptop exits in the center console cubby. I labeled it because there’s a USB cable there for hooking the AEM to a laptop. I have to look at those instructions and see if I need to do that, I forgot if that’s just if I’m going to hook up the failsafe or what. I just wanted to get the wiring done for the ProLink so it’s ready.
time to turn it up

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I made it so both cables that plug into the HPT can be stashed by popping the DS fuse cover off and putting them inside.
Would it work to run an obd2 splitter? then you could have it all out of sight, and have it hooked up and ready to go at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady