Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the harness is your answer
I think I'll order the vehicle side connector too just because. In case it did get corroded or contaminated with fluid. There was something black in the cavity when I first looked at it, then I cleaned it out with MAF cleaner. Wouldn't hurt.

Edit: crap that connector was $62 on Amazon, AC Delco PT1008. Aftermarket ones are about the same price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the harness removal tool (thanks @pwtr02ss !), the harness and electrical components kit, fluid and the Mpvi2+ (which I’ll be returning) today. The vehicle side connector will be here Saturday. It’s another mini heat wave here for a few days anyway so I’ll wait until it’s over and then replace everything. The Mpvi2 Pro will be here Monday. That tool is quality, it’s keyed plus it pushes the tabs in just enough.

Attachments

• 7FE6A541-95DB-4851-A9B0-8BD804287875.jpeg
    7FE6A541-95DB-4851-A9B0-8BD804287875.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 9B670B0E-B51B-4E2A-90DA-0CFB22884230.jpeg
    9B670B0E-B51B-4E2A-90DA-0CFB22884230.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 6

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the harness removal tool (thanks @pwtr02ss !), the harness and electrical components kit, fluid and the Mpvi2+ (which I’ll be returning) today. The vehicle side connector will be here Saturday. It’s another mini heat wave here for a few days anyway so I’ll wait until it’s over and then replace everything. The Mpvi2 Pro will be here Monday. That tool is quality, it’s keyed plus it pushes the tabs in just enough.
Glad they got it quickly and it made it. Looks like you've got plenty to work on:)

also, Unlike engine oil, transmission fluid is transmission fluid. I buy the cheapest dexron (x) I can buy. Just for future reference. I've asked a lot of transmission builders and they have all said the same thing. Ask your guy next time you talk to him. Just trying to save you a few dollars in the future

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad they got it quickly and it made it. Looks like you've got plenty to work on:)

also, Unlike engine oil, transmission fluid is transmission fluid. I buy the cheapest dexron (x) I can buy. Just for future reference. I've asked a lot of transmission builders and they have all said the same thing. Ask your guy next time you talk to him. Just trying to save you a few dollars in the future
Yeah I heard the same thing, and Performabuilt says so in their videos. I forgot again, keep ordering the expensive stuff.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard the same thing, and Performabuilt says so in their videos. I forgot again, keep ordering the expensive stuff.
For once, I wasn't wrong in your thread.
I get a case of dexron 6 and a case of carb cleaner when we do a rebuild (parts master brand) for like $94 through casey's work. I used to pay like $9 a quart for Castrol at advance auto. Hopefully this saves someone some coin. Acdelco isn't crazy expensive (depending on where you buy)but every penny counts

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when the USPS delivered the Mpvi2 yesterday they didn’t scan it as delivered. Amazon shows it as out for delivery still, scheduled to be here today. So I can’t initiate a return because they don’t think I have it. Maybe it’s free. :jester:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a recent change one of them did? I have a file labeled "BBP tune" but it's in HPT config and I can open and mod it as I please with HPT. It was what I pulled off my Silverado when I switch from BBP to HPT. Of course, you can't take an EFI Configed tune and read it with HPT but if you load it to the ECU with EFI then copy it from the ECU with HPT then the MPVI should translate it to HPT config and you should be able to work it.

Now this experience I'm talking from is circa Jan 2017 so maybe stuff has changed but I don't see why it would have.

I don't need to interface it as in take the tune from an EFI Live file and work on it, but to download it from the vehicle and then work on it. So, like Dan was saying it should work. Frank @ Performabuilt just told me HPT will modify any tune as long as it's not password locked and if it is I'll get the password from Justin. He will no longer hold me hostage! I was shopping for the Mpvi2+and found it plus 2 credits for $344 from Hinson Motorsports on Amazon which is $55 off plus they send 2 t-shirts yay. I can always use a couple work-on-the truck shirts. :) Plus as far as the harness is concerned there's 2 options depending on the pressure switch in the trans and the only way to know which one you have is to look at it according to Frank. I'm not dropping the pan yet so Frank gave me an Amazon link to the whole kit that has a harness, pressure switch and all AC Delco solenoids for about $150 so I ordered that and another gallon of Dexron VI. This $525 better fix my problem or else. :crazy:

This is correct. I misunderstood. I read it as taking an EFIL tune file on his computer and opening it in HPT.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fixed! It turns out that code it kept throwing- P0785 for the 3-2 shift solenoid- was causing the PCM to put the trans in limp mode. And Performabuilt told me they were curious what would happen if I could tune it out since their builds don't even use that solenoid. So I used my new HP Tuners to set that DTC from illuminating the DIC on the second failure to "not report" which makes it invisible to the PCM. Aha! I drove a half hour last night and then today I drove around town for an hour and even got into a bit of rallying with a Subie. It shifts great. I believe it was throwing that code more and more and since I only saw the MIL on each second failure I didn't know it was probably always there, and if it was there, the PCM was setting limp mode. Thanks to Frank @Performabuilt and @randeez and @Dantheman1540 and @pwtr02ss and anybody else I might be forgetting that helped me. This is a huge relief. I might keep the harness and electronic parts but I can return a few things. I have no plans on dropping the pan and figuring out what's up with that solenoid since I don't need it but if something else in there decides to mess up at least I'll have the parts. THE BEAST LIVES!!!!!:rockit::worthy::worship::party36::pepper::peace::lol::happy107::)

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's fixed! It turns out that code it kept throwing- P0785 for the 3-2 shift solenoid- was causing the PCM to put the trans in limp mode. And Performabuilt told me they were curious what would happen if I could tune it out since their builds don't even use that solenoid. So I used my new HP Tuners to set that DTC from illuminating the DIC on the second failure to "not report" which makes it invisible to the PCM. Aha! I drove a half hour last night and then today I drove around town for an hour and even got into a bit of rallying with a Subie. It shifts great. I believe it was throwing that code more and more and since I only saw the MIL on each second failure I didn't know it was probably always there, and if it was there, the PCM was setting limp mode. Thanks to Frank @Performabuilt and @randeez and @Dantheman1540 and @pwtr02ss and anybody else I might be forgetting that helped me. This is a huge relief. I might keep the harness and electronic parts but I can return a few things. I have no plans on dropping the pan and figuring out what's up with that solenoid since I don't need it but if something else in there decides to mess up at least I'll have the parts. THE BEAST LIVES!!!!!:rockit::worthy::worship::party36::pepper::peace::lol::happy107::)

thats what we're here for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM