Rusty Calipers - issue or just cosmetics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this used Escalade and was wondering what happened to the brakes. Never seen such rusty calipers on an Escalade.
Is this something that should concern me? I wonder if I can get rid of the dust as it doesn’t look good. Any ideas?

Rest of the car looks actually pretty nice and well maintained and so I’m interested in buying but that concerns me a little. What do you think? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpeg
    IMG_4988.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4987.jpeg
    IMG_4987.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4985.jpeg
    IMG_4985.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 4

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a machine from Michigan? I'd look pretty close underneath the Esky for rust on and inside the frame, front suspension pieces, rear cross members, etc. Rusty looking calipers is not too common on newer GM machines with the silver looking coatings.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that seems excessive. How many miles on the vehicle? Maybe they ran some pads down to metal on metal and it made its way onto the calipers?

That being said if this is a used vehicle you’re interested in purchasing and all checks out except for calipers I’d try negotiating some new ones into the deal maybe? Not sure on exact model year and mileage or if the price is right but maybe don’t expect totally free parts and labor. But ask for it. Then maybe you land on something like if you pay for the parts of the new calipers see if they’ll do the labor for free?

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It hs 41K miles on it. Was driven in Indiana. I think I can’t negotiate it but will try. How much are new calipers usually?

I was looking underneath from the front and haven’t seen anything but I need to take a closer look for sure.

Ebaile5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Saw this used Escalade and was wondering what happened to the brakes. Never seen such rusty calipers on an Escalade.
Is this something that should concern me? I wonder if I can get rid of the dust as it doesn’t look good. Any ideas?

Rest of the car looks actually pretty nice and well maintained and so I’m interested in buying but that concerns me a little. What do you think? Thanks
Looks like it hasn’t been driven much after the rotors got wet. If the calipers have been replaced the aftermarket ones will rust pretty quick like that even if they say they have a coating. Happened to me on my rear calipers I just replaced and I knew better so now I have to sand them down and paint them like I knew I should have before I installed them.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone is saying, take a close look underneath. They may have made a trip to Daytona Beach in not gotten it washed off as well as they should have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landxx