RWD 6L90E + AXN Axle Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

Reaction score
Howdy,

So I've found a used 6L90 locally which I know is going to have a longer tailhousing with a different U-joint. I'm also considering a 3.42:1 AXN out of a RWD Escalade at the same time so that's another U-joint that's different. With this combination will a GMT900 Suburban 2500 shaft work to bridge that gap and bolt right in or at lease get me down to only a single conversion U-joint?

Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

So I've found a used 6L90 locally which I know is going to have a longer tailhousing with a different U-joint. I'm also considering a 3.42:1 AXN out of a RWD Escalade at the same time so that's another U-joint that's different. With this combination will a GMT900 Suburban 2500 shaft work to bridge that gap and bolt right in or at lease get me down to only a single conversion U-joint?

Thanks
It *should* work, but I don't know 100% for sure. @swathdiver may know.

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

Reaction score
Well the crossmember is starting to look like a much bigger deal than I thought, the 2500 crossmember is totally different to the 1500. I'm going to look at if you can mount the 2500 crossmember to the bottom of 1500 frame.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the crossmember is starting to look like a much bigger deal than I thought, the 2500 crossmember is totally different to the 1500. I'm going to look at if you can mount the 2500 crossmember to the bottom of 1500 frame.
Yeah the frame crossmembers are totally different between the 1500 and 2500 chassis. I was just referring to the driveshaft length likely being okay.

@L8T BURB did a 6.6L from an HD pickup with (I believe) a 6L90 attached to it in his K2xx generation 1500 Suburban, so he may have more insights for you on the frame.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the transmission/TC crossmember just through-bolts through the frame on the 2500s, right? Can't you just drill new holes rearward? Or are they different on the 1500s?

OP
OP
C

CTX-SLPR

Reaction score
I believe the transmission/TC crossmember just through-bolts through the frame on the 2500s, right? Can't you just drill new holes rearward? Or are they different on the 1500s?
The 1500 has a pair of ears mounted inside the frame to hold the box section cross member. I'll have to look if it's C-section to weld some nuts on to the flats or if I'd need to go rivnuts. I'm more concerned about the height of the mount being different. Up could be shimmed but down would require cutting up the mount pocket and lowering it.

Geotrash, was mainly commenting on this falling in likelihood as the amount of work mounts. If the crossmember will mount to the bottom of the rails then I guess it's still in the cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dramaticpaws