"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the dealer with oil change and the guy told me is 4 recalls in the 4wd. Is crazy when this going to end, the grinding noise when the car is in auto or 4wd is very bad. <br />
They have to come with the solution soon isn't right. <br />
[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]<br/>

Reaction score
I had this same "Service 4WD" problem on my 3-week old 2015 Suburban LTZ, with 1,900 miles. It was in Auto 4WD when I drove it off the dealer's lot, so I switched it to 2WD immediately. When snow came, I switched it back to Auto. At some point, it locked into 4H and would not come out. After reading this forum, I went and had the transfer case reprogrammed today, which fixed my problem for now.

According the the attached TSB, there is still no fix. The tech wasn't sure if this would end up in a recall, or if only the vehicles that had been worked on will get notified when they finally get a fix to this. In the meantime, for anyone needing to switch out of 2WD, follow the instructions in the TSB. Annoying.

TSB.jpg

Last edited:

Coltsneckbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New Here

I just experienced the problem yesterday where my transfer case locked into 4WD.

I have a question though. Will it harm the car/trans to drive on dry roads with this condition? I need to get to the dealership for repair and it is 10 miles away?

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just experienced the problem yesterday where my transfer case locked into 4WD.

I have a question though. Will it harm the car/trans to drive on dry roads with this condition? I need to get to the dealership for repair and it is 10 miles away?
You good to go the only thing is if you have turn very close if going to make a very annoying noise. I drive 50 miles in this conditions,believe is not funny.
[emoji19] call GM and open a claim for future problems.

Coltsneckbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I have had 4WD trucks going back to the early 80's (mostly Fords) and I was always advised never engage 4W on a dry road because you might wind up the trans/axel.

When this occurred yesterday (1/17/15) I called On-Star right away. They acted like this was some sort of new problem. They ran a remote diagnostic and told me exactly what the dash was saying "Service AWD". I got 3 years of On-Star free as part of my negotiation with the dealer when I purchased the vehicle, but if I had to pay for it I would be furious.

I am also annoyed that after reading this forum (I just joined) to find that this problem has been around for quite some time. GM should have notified me NOT TO PUT IT IN AUTO 4W until they devised a fix. Mary Barra goes on TV and interviews telling the world GM cares and attends to problems immediately - well this certainly makes her out to be a liar.

ralphtt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

This has happened to my '15 LTZ on three separate occasions. Twice I was about forty miles from the dealer and was told by the dealer to drive on in. In the old days this was considered to be ******* the 4WD system . . . I am sure it is still not recommended but there was really no alternative. Any possible problems will show up way into the future if at all and I probably won't own the vehicle that long anyway. :shrug:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must use in 4wd otherwise they never going to fix the problem, now here is a lot ice on the road and I use 100%/in auto if broken again will live in the dealer up to they resolve the problem.
Do not feel sorry for the car because Gm don't care about.
[emoji19] [emoji35] [emoji19]

Coltsneckbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I called Roadside Assistance. They told me not to drive the vehicle and scheduled a pick-up with a flat bed for tomorrow morning.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I called Roadside Assistance. They told me not to drive the vehicle and scheduled a pick-up with a flat bed for tomorrow morning.
Again if you want you can drive remember this people of roadside assistance are there to make money, off course they do not want you to drive this way they make the money, lol
[emoji1] [emoji385]

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm nervous. Have 3 weeks in mine, 600 miles and a family trip to Disney begining of February. I have been in auto, 4wd hi and 2 WD through good days, snow and sleet/freezing rain since we got it. Waiting for the light...

Should I just leave it in 2wd and not drive it on bad weather days? Will that keep it from happening until we clear our vacation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968