"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parked my truck on some snow and ice today and left truck in Auto 4WD.. Came back and truck is apparently stuck in 4 Hi. The light on the switch shows Auto but truck is obviously in 4 Hi since turning radius is limited and bouncy..

Today is Friday, my truck was at GMC shop exactly one week ago last Friday and had two recall items addressed, one of which was the transfer case software update I believe.

I will be calling shop tomorrow to schedule appointment to correct ASAP...

BTW, calling for more snow this weekend. I don't feel comfortable driving under this condition. Can anyone advise if I Should I have any concerns?

Thanks

Don in New York
How many miles you have? ,also bring directly to de dealer they will reprogramming in 15 minutes.
[emoji19]

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hummer101, I have my popcorn ready for your meeting next week. I was just successful in getting a replacement for Ac issues in the hot state of Florida. I have my fingers crossed for you and hope they can figure out a fix. if not I wish you the best in getting a replacement. Stand your ground and don't let them push you around. They sure put me through the ringer. Good luck.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hummer101, I have my popcorn ready for your meeting next week. I was just successful in getting a replacement for Ac issues in the hot state of Florida. I have my fingers crossed for you and hope they can figure out a fix. if not I wish you the best in getting a replacement. Stand your ground and don't let them push you around. They sure put me through the ringer. Good luck.
You are funny, but let see what happens will keep post.
[emoji19] [emoji385]
I have a secret weapon to be test. Something they don't know. [emoji1]

Narcorngr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Yukon has less than 4000 miles. Purchased in July 2014.. I brought in today to "fix" the 4WD lock situation. Was corrected quickly. Service manager advised me I need to shut off and start in 2WD until further notice (as others have reported) I have to say this is an annoying issue. If I was a real ***** I would allow it to lock 3 more times and get 3 more service bills and give them back the truck under NYS Lemon Law. (Need 4 attempted repairs in NY to make Lemon Law claim).. I Was planning road trip to Florida next week, this would have really screwed up my trip if this had happened 1000 miles from home..

Don in New York

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon has less than 4000 miles. Purchased in July 2014.. I brought in today to "fix" the 4WD lock situation. Was corrected quickly. Service manager advised me I need to shut off and start in 2WD until further notice (as others have reported) I have to say this is an annoying issue. If I was a real ***** I would allow it to lock 3 more times and get 3 more service bills and give them back the truck under NYS Lemon Law. (Need 4 attempted repairs in NY to make Lemon Law claim).. I Was planning road trip to Florida next week, this would have really screwed up my trip if this had happened 1000 miles from home..

Don in New York
Not mercy bro don't feel sorry because they don't care about us.
[emoji35]

JohnRI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was at my dealer on Friday for other reasons and asked the service manager the status of a permanent fix. He said GM still has not found root cause. The theory is that it is either the motor that shifts from 2WD into 4WD and back or it is software. I went out this AM to get coffee and put it into auto position as we have several inches of snow so far today and forgot to change back to 2WD before shutting off. Fortunately I remembered immediately after turning off and then started it up and immediately put back into 2WD successfully. I have enough things to be concerned about without having to remember to use the GM workaround. I can't understand why GM cannot fix this issue. It must be at their low end of their priority list.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will meet this week with a GM ing. That have to check my car I hope they do not change the appointment. [emoji19]

Coltsneckbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was at my dealer on Friday ......... I can't understand why GM cannot fix this issue. It must be at their low end of their priority list.

No problem goes this long without a fix. The engineers would be looking for work. If a problem persists for a length of time such as this it is because they are trying to find an inexpensive solution.

That said - I had my truck fixed 3 weeks ago with new software. The service manager said it would deal with the problem. To date I have had no recurrence of the issue and I have operated (starting and stopping) in AUTO mode. I suppose I will feel more confident after a 1,000 miles or so, but so far so good.

I wonder if it is possible that your service depts are not applying the update correctly - or failing to follow some other process in the update.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem goes this long without a fix. The engineers would be looking for work. If a problem persists for a length of time such as this it is because they are trying to find an inexpensive solution.

That said - I had my truck fixed 3 weeks ago with new software. The service manager said it would deal with the problem. To date I have had no recurrence of the issue and I have operated (starting and stopping) in AUTO mode. I suppose I will feel more confident after a 1,000 miles or so, but so far so good.

I wonder if it is possible that your service depts are not applying the update correctly - or failing to follow some other process in the update.
I don't want to turn you down but I was also same way 1 last 1,500 miles 2 last about 3,500 and more so cross you fingers brother. [emoji19]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968