"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralphtt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it happened again. We had a cold snap with some snow so I put it in "Auto" for safety reasons. Low and behold it happened again stuck in 4WD the next day. Took it back to the dealership, they "said" they tested the range sensor and it passed. They still couldn't get it out of 4WD so they had to call the manufacture. Turned out they had to "replace" the encoder motor. Was told by one of the service reps to "never" leave it in "Auto" leave it in 2WD until you need it. :hmmm2: If you read in the manual section 9-38 no where in that manual does is say not to leave it on "Auto". It did say you would get better mileage then 2 wheel drive. I reminded them that Arizona has a lemon law and if they can't fix it I will be happy to go that route. Hopefully I won't have to because I love my Tahoe.

I'm late to the party but I have been through this situation three times now. (Four counting the recall to reprogram the transfer case). Finally decided to contact GM customer service back on October 25 and so far all I get is lip service. They did have the dealer call me to schedule an appointment to 'check everything out'.
Neither Chevrolet or the dealer seem to realize that owning a vehicle this unreliable is unsatisfactory. Fact is, you can never be sure you will return home without the transfer case locking up. I have been reluctant to make a long trip due to this problem . . . would hate to be several hundred miles from home and have to contact a new dealer to get the vehicle out of 4 WD.
I plan to hold their feet to the fire on this one . . . and if necessary the lemon law is in our corner. Sure would hate to go that route, 'cause like Mountaingirl, I like the Tahoe~ :Nonono:

:emotions36:

Moliver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Second time in the dealership with transfer case issues on 2015 Yukon

First visit was due to transmission slipping into neutral going down the highway. Could not get it back into gear. Dealership said there was a bulletin and they reprogrammed and replaced module.

Today the "Service 4WD" light came on and the transfer case was stuck in 4L. I've never used 4WD Low. I used Auto last night and must have turned the engine off without going back to 2WD.

Tow truck driver said he brings in a dozen or so 2015's a week for the same set of issues. More now that we've had snow. Can't wait to see what happens with everyone starts to use their trucks with 4WD this winter. Being told to return the vehicle to 2WD before shutting off is insane. GM needs to figure this out.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First visit was due to transmission slipping into neutral going down the highway. Could not get it back into gear. Dealership said there was a bulletin and they reprogrammed and replaced module.

Today the "Service 4WD" light came on and the transfer case was stuck in 4L. I've never used 4WD Low. I used Auto last night and must have turned the engine off without going back to 2WD.

Tow truck driver said he brings in a dozen or so 2015's a week for the same set of issues. More now that we've had snow. Can't wait to see what happens with everyone starts to use their trucks with 4WD this winter. Being told to return the vehicle to 2WD before shutting off is insane. GM needs to figure this out.
They must fixed or we have to return the truck to the dealer up yo they figure out.
I use my Denali in auto I don't care if break again I just need one more time before I live in the dealer for good.
[emoji35] [emoji385]

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 speed report- Did a lot of driving this weekend on totally covered snow and ice roads. Used Auto and 4 hi. Turned on and off several times while in 4 auto and 4 hi without any issues. Everything worked as it should. Hopefully this is not an issues with this configuration.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 speed report- Did a lot of driving this weekend on totally covered snow and ice roads. Used Auto and 4 hi. Turned on and off several times while in 4 auto and 4 hi without any issues. Everything worked as it should. Hopefully this is not an issues with this configuration.
Enjoy because everyone with 2015-2 ,6 speed discontinued vehicles will crying later including me.
[emoji24]

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for updating us! I'm going to wait to pass judgment until we've got a few more reports from 2015i owners (after all, not all the 6 speed equipped units are having problems) but I'm hopeful that GM has remedied the problem.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is hard to believe they cannot fix this issue.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Lyon where you up to, are you still waiting? [emoji19]

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is hard to believe they cannot fix this issue.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Lyon where you up to, are you still waiting? [emoji19]

Yeah, my truck is in the state but I'm being told I should get it next week by the time it gets unloaded from the train and trucked down to the dealership.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my truck is in the state but I'm being told I should get it next week by the time it gets unloaded from the train and trucked down to the dealership.
Cool you must have plenty snow already.

Moliver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New recall?

Dealership called and said my '15 Yukon XL was fixed (again). Adviser said there is a brand new recall for the transfer case and they applied the new programing. She mention getting a recall card in the next few week. We'll see if the reprogramming makes a difference or not. I'm going to park it in Auto tonight and see if it allows me to get back into 2WD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkmarius

Latest posts