Sharp edge on grab handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got into the passenger seat for the first time and the grab handle has an extremely sharp edge, seems like its where the two halves of the handle come together. Is that normal? Does anyone have a good way to knock it down without damaging the handle? I almost cut my hand on it:

20220411_170736.jpg

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could have dealer replace or if you take pocketknife and put it 90% to seam (flash from Moulding handle) and drag knife back and forth lightly so you don't make it look bad.

OP
OP
C

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the dealer would replace it. It is just a poor design.

I thought about the knife dragging method, could probably protect the surrounding area with painters tape. I'm just a little worried that would end up making it a serrated edge...maybe protect with tape and hit it with some Emory paper?

I need to take care of it before my wife cuts her hand on it. She already thinks it is a "stupid car" because it is too big and gets bad mileage. She wanted me to get a Telluride like her mom .

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the dealer would replace it. It is just a poor design.

I thought about the knife dragging method, could probably protect the surrounding area with painters tape. I'm just a little worried that would end up making it a serrated edge...maybe protect with tape and hit it with some Emory paper?

I need to take care of it before my wife cuts her hand on it. She already thinks it is a "stupid car" because it is too big and gets bad mileage. She wanted me to get a Telluride like her mom .
The dealer will replace if you don't mess with it. It's a defect and could cut someone's hand. Easy fix and they shouldn't mess anything up.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
although it could be a easy fix I would take it to the dealer and ask the service manager to come out and feel it. that's all it should take to have it taken care of correctly. skip the Indians and go right to the Chief. If the service manager will not address it, then find another dealer. You can go to ANY gm dealer with a warranty issue on any GM vehicle, nationwide.
if they have to order the part, fine just put some of that blue painters tape around it for now so your wide does not get hurt.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer will replace if you don't mess with it. It's a defect and could cut someone's hand. Easy fix and they shouldn't mess anything up.
Still waiting for GM to recall the door handles on my tahoe

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you dont come right at the dealership, what I would do it:

Some form of putty filler
Lightly sand it flush to make your fillet
Fine tip black sharpie

Or incorporate some form of thin padding wrapped around the entire "grip" area that wraps around to also give better grip when entering/existing. Im sure you could make it look OEM "style". Something to this effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM