Short person driver having a problem......remedy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 'short' wife is having a small problem with our just purchased 2024 Tahoe. We have had Suburban's and Tahoe in the past and so did not think there would be one now. Admittedly our previous vehicle, Expedition, had adjustable 'pedals'. Again didn't think about having a problem.

She is having to 'scoot' way up to be able to comfortably reach the gas pedal. Too close to the steering wheel. I am wondering if anyone else has had to contend with this type of situation?

I know that Amazon and other sites sell 'extensions' but they don't get positive reviews and not really sure they would work on a Tahoe setup.

I am looking for someone on the forum who has dealt with this and can give some suggestions.

OP
OP
N

NorthGeorgia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Find a taller Wife?
I guess you are attempting to be funny. But I am being serious. There is some danger positioning oneself too close the steering wheel where the air bag deploys. But since you are the only one responding I guess no one else has this situation.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your Tahoe have a telescoping wheel (and if so, has she tried moving it back close to the dash so she can move the seat up further)?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Besides the recommendations from @Marky Dissod and @KMeloney, I have to ask, did the wife drive the vehicle before buying it? If not, why not? If she did, what was her concerns after driving and before buying?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A solution that would be both 'aftermarket' AND GM OE (which is what I tend to prefer) would be:
Is it possible to make GM OE adjustable pedals workable?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one has good reviews..

That said, my wife is also very short at 4'10". we completely decided against any GM vehicle for various reasons, but your issue was one of them.

A few years back, I made a pedal adapter that bolted to the floor. As I am 6'2", having a permanent pedal extension was a no go. So I took a hinge, bolted it to the floor, and on the other end I put a long piece of aluminum, with grippy tape, on the back of the pedal I bolted a concaved piece of wood that rested on the gas pedal.

The hinge allowed me to fold the pedal towards the seat so it would be out of my way so I could drive it, and fold it back so she could drive it.

You could do the same for the brake pedal, however you loose some of the braking force because of the canter leaver and is not recommended.

OP
OP
N

NorthGeorgia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate 'most' of the replies. I too would be curious as to if there is such a thing as "OE" pedal adaptor. I do find the person who figured how to do their own adaptation interesting too. Also the person who inquired "Did she drive it before buying". She did sit and adjust the seat and steering and felt it would work.....but at that time felt a bit intimidated and didn't actually drive it. As I mentioned initially we've had Suburban's and Tahoe in the past and so I guess one could say we 'Falsely' assumed it was as before. We are getting to where she is getting a bit more comfortable in her seating positioning. Also we have been informed the 'explosion' of the Air Bag is not as explosive as in the early days. We've been informed that now-a-days the air bag sensing unit actually can tell how heavy/weight of the driver and somehow adjusts it's deployment accordingly?

now if I could find out why my USB flash drive (lots of music on it) is not recognized by this Vehicle? It works fine in other vehicles?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shredd_guy