Should I get 5% tint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that I am going to get my windows tinted. Right now I have the factory tint on the passenger windows all the way back. My front two windows have zero tint on them.

How dark is the stock tint?

I want 5% from the back passenger windows all the way back, is that too dark over stock tint?

I'm debating on get 5% on the front two windows or just staying legal up front. Legal here in texas is 25% I think. I really want it dark but I don't know if I will get a ticket or not.

Hell you only live once so what do you guys think, should I go for the 5% upfront too?

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the tint laws are in Texas but you might want to find out before you do it.
As for the back tint if you don't mind not being able to see out the back windows at night then go for it..

Riff Raff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 5% all the way around
Double 5% on the back window
Only problem is it won't pass inspection
I have to throw my inspection dude $20'and he passes me
Never have problems in the D/FW area
But you being in abliene you gotta watch out for state troopers

OP
OP
G

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah state troopers are a problem, I would only have to worry about them when I drive home down I-20. My hometown is on the other side of the Metroplex. I could always drive with the windows down I guess.

ferr1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd give the 20 or 25% up front a try. That should match the factory tint on the rear depending who makes the tint. Tinting the front also darkens the whole cabin throughout so you might be happy with it. If you look at my pic below, it is only 20% on the front windows and factory tint on the rears. Dark enough that if anyone sees you, it's really only a silhouette.

It's going to be a bit risky for you if Texas DPS is pretty active in your area. Getting a ticket, removing the tint, having it inspected, paying a fine and re-applying may not be worth it to you. If it looks TOO dark, you'll just be asking to get pulled.

- Ferris

OP
OP
G

gfunkfb09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would 20% up front and 5% the rest of my Yukon look?

And I guess it wouldn't help if I told the officer im a Criminal Justice major either lol :hmm:

zaathur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 5% on my front windows then 35% over the factory window tint to match the front 5% and i can see out them just fine

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO 5% looks good but not legal in most states(on front windows) and is hard to see out of at night...

02YuNali916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got 5 all around none on front windshield, been n tx this past yr, been to dallas, austin, sa, houstin, brownsville, n now back to cali for good. been pulled over by tx state trooper for speedin they said nothin bout the tint. i use to roll my windows down whenever i saw a cop but now i dont. aint tryna knock on wood but i never gotta fix it ticket..... im gettin 35% on front windshield soon

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock tint is 20% IIRC. imo 5% is to dark its hard to see the curb when your trying to park at night with my 20%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52