Should I replace the battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
sorry to thread jack but I noticed a few of you recommending the optima yellow top batteries and was wondering if you guys run those with a stock setup or have some type of audio system? I don't plan on adding any subs, probably just keep it at the stock NAV and speakers as my wife could care less for sound and wanted to get a new battery just couldn't decide red or yellow

I went to 2 different auto parts stores looking for a yellow-top, and both people I spoke to at each recommended a yellowtop if you have a system.

scarter

Reaction score
I went to 2 different auto parts stores looking for a yellow-top, and both people I spoke to at each recommended a yellowtop if you have a system.

no system here, but i'd rather my battery not die after less than 3 min with the key in the on position.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't plan on running a system you get add a Red Top. Again, everyone on here likes their Yellow Top. The choice is yours.

scarter

Reaction score
If you don't plan on running a system you get add a Red Top. Again, everyone on here likes their Yellow Top. The choice is yours.

according to optimas website they do not make a battery that fits a 2007 tahoe. i looked it up by make and model and no hoe..trailblazer but no hoe.

Last edited:

BC Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with 2 Red tops for my tahoe, with the 3 amps I figured I needed the second so it wouldn't dim the lights when the bass hits

yellow tops are deep cycle and intended to be drained, I have two yellow tops on my lightning so when I'm at the track I can run my electric water pump, intercooler pump and electric fans for hours while the truck is off

I just hit 80,000 miles on my Tahoe :wtf2:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks man for the clarification.. i called my dealer they said they've had tons of service bulletin's on this model vehicle.. he didn't seem to think flashing the computer would help any.. he recomended not running the radio and override the lights to the off position when the engine is not running:waytogo: guess i'll try this yellowtop battery everyone talks about.

Confirm that your truck had the TSB done. If not, insist that this needs to be completed. If that dealer still gives you grief, go to another dealer and do not go back. The specific TSB notes the very issues you have.

You should be able to run the stock sound system with the engine off and use the overhead lights even for just a short time. The dealer telling you to not run the radio or overhead lights is not acceptable!

Last edited:

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
The TSB you want to reference(at least for the 07's) is 07033. This reflashes the BCM. If the dealership you go to never heard of a reflash, then you need to go to another dealer.

When you exit the vehicle, the BCM keeps much of the electrical system active for a period of 10 minutes. This includes power to the audio amplifiers. Occasionally, a glitch keeps the electrical system from shutting down. This will discharge the OEM battery completely in about 8 hours. I know because this has happened to me on numerous occasions. It happened enough that I carry a large set of jumper cables with me at all times. I had the reflash done, and it still happens once in a while.

If you're looking for a good starting battery, the Red Top is your guy. The Yellow Top is for deep discharge applications, but don't have the cranking power of a Red Top. Red Tops are made for short duration cranking applications, and are not meant to be run down. Doing so greatly shortens their life. But neither one will help you with this problem if you're away from your vehicle for an extended period like a typical work day. I run a Yellow Top in the second tray which is isolated from the starting battery. My OEM battery died in December, and I replaced it with a traditional Bosch flooded cell battery. The second battery gives me the ability to self jump if I need to, although it wasn't installed for that reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
That 2nd battery idea is neat, I might look into that. The Yellow Top shortens cranking time as well though, probably not as good as the Red Top but I sure did notice a difference when I started it!

Excellent batteries.

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
Confirm that your truck had the TSB done. If not, insist that this needs to be completed.......

If the reflash has been done, any dealer worth his salt will put a little white and black plastic sticker under the hood, up front and on the left side. The sticker should have on it the date it was reflashed, and the TSB number "07033"

....You should be able to run the stock sound system with the engine off and use the overhead lights even for just a short time.

True. But keep in mind that the in the Accessory position, the electrical system isn't smart enough to turn only the radio and amp on. The entire system, minus the ignition system is active. An hour on the OEM battery is enough to make it barely crank. Again...first hand experience.

Last edited:

BC Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 2nd battery idea is neat, I might look into that. The Yellow Top shortens cranking time as well though, probably not as good as the Red Top but I sure did notice a difference when I started it!

Excellent batteries.

Yellow tops have more CCA (cold cranking amps) than the red tops, but if your not constantly draining your battery, the yellow top is not needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate