Side-to-side adjustment on headlights??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm thinking the side to side adjustment might not be on the actual housing itself, but part of the bracket the housing attaches to. I'll poke around tomorrow night when I install my new lights and see what I can find, but I'm almost positive it is DOT required that there be a way to adjust them both ways.

My old car had it (which was actually newer then my Denali), but it was totally hidden by the manufacturer. Apparently they don't like joe public messing with that part. You had to literally pry off an innocent looking plastic cover to reveal a bolt that indeed did adjust them laterally.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
I'm thinking the side to side adjustment might not be on the actual housing itself, but part of the bracket the housing attaches to. I'll poke around tomorrow night when I install my new lights and see what I can find, but I'm almost positive it is DOT required that there be a way to adjust them both ways.

My old car had it (which was actually newer then my Denali), but it was totally hidden by the manufacturer. Apparently they don't like joe public messing with that part. You had to literally pry off an innocent looking plastic cover to reveal a bolt that indeed did adjust them laterally.

Yeah, not the case with these headlights. Has your car been wrecked or something? What's wrong with the lateral adjustment? I agree that it's dumb that it doesn't have it. I am holding one here now and there is no way to do it. You could possible insert a washer or something behind one of the braces that holds the light to the bracket.

When you drive up to a wall, your lights should shine on the wall and look similar to this:

__________|----------_______|----------

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm about to install some TSX projector retrofitted HID headlights and want to make sure I can adjust them, if I need to, into the correct pattern. I will be posting a write-up with pics on the whole project once it's complete, which hopefully will be tomorrow night.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me find anything about how to do lateral adjustments on our headlights, but there has to be a way. Pretty sure it's required by law to be at least possible, even if the general public doesn't know how the dealers usually do.

Anyone know??
actually, it is frowned upon now a days. It is absolutely NOT mandated (on purpose).

They prefer the headlights to NOT have lateral adjustments since their position is that properly designed headlights should NEVER need it, and the DOT pattern is such that there IS no way to properly aim them visually due to the lack of a distinctive kink and sharp cutoff to serve as a measuring point.
IE:
If modern lights can't be adjusted, they can't go OUT of adjustment and cause glare to oncoming drivers, and thus no need for headlight aiming tests for annual inspections.

The NHTSA basically acknowledges that the majority of Americans can not point them straight, and that people were once constantly failing inspection for headlight aiming (and paying to fix it). Mostly they're right, as anyone who remembers sealed beams recalls.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

There is sometimes a way to aim some non-adjustable headlights... 1/16" thick hand made plastic shims between the mounting pads and mounting surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
That actually all made sense to me. Thanks Eagle. I also have much respect for Daniel Stern and his knowledge-base, so seeing him as your source was good.

I'm hoping it's a moot point anyway and that my install will be lined up.

Interesting note, while you brought up NHTSA: They were, and may still be, considering new regulations regarding HID's. These included limiting the height they are present on any vehicle to 30" off the ground and requiring them to be auto-leveling and/or washing to reduce glare.

Last edited:

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
daniel's site is a great resource! I've been re-reading it for years now.

I wouldnt; have a great problem with NTHSA limiting height on HID on NEW vehicles, would you? I think 30" is a ridiculously low number though, 36-38" would be a lot better, but still practical for implementation.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I think a height limitation is reasonable given the output of HID's. I would also have no problem with them implementing a housing standard if you are going to run HID's to proper HID projectors with some industry standard for cutoffs and no HID's in reflector housings as they simply offer no control over the glare. There has actually been proven statistical increases in night-time accidents with at least some of the cause being from on-coming traffic light blindness in the last several years.

I really like the HID light output, but I am very careful not to make it blinding to on-coming traffic.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are different. See, only one adjustment screw for up/down.

219067502_o.jpg
I get what your saying now but I am confused as to why they would change something like that on the same year but different trim level. I guess if the Denalis come with projectors, that could be why there are no adjustments but as you can see clearly on mine there are 2 points of adjustment on this one. One is for height and the other for side to side.
IMG_0180.sized.jpg
IMG_0174.sized.jpg
IMG_0176.sized.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Teaser shot of my retro results

One for now, more to come: