Squealing vents...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22 z71 here...

Does anyone else's vents squeal when they are pointed hard to one side?

My wife hates the vents blowing on her so she points her vents straight out to the sides. They then make a faint squealing noise, it's not loud but it is obnoxious (its the kind of noise you dont notice at first but eventually drives you absolutely insane, like jack nickleson in the shining type of insane and you dont even know why), especially when the fan is blowing full tilt. I thought it was a squealing fan motor (mentioned on another thread) but I took a colleague to lunch today and it was hot, so he pointed the vents back at himself and the squeal stopped, it's 100% repeatable and I can make it happen by turning any of the front facing vents to one side or the other. It's actually hard to tell where the squealing is coming from, it seems like it is coming from deeper in the dash than the vent.

Anyway, just interested to know if anyone else has experienced this?

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend does the same thing, when the vent is turned to the side it reduces the air way and causes the air to speed up as it travels through the vent, making a whistling sound. Put the vent back to straight and there is no change in air speed coming through the vent and the noise stops. The dial below the vent will also cause the same whistle if not completely in the off position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM