Squeeling Hoe......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
My wifes 04 Z71 Tahoe has a nasty squeel apparently. I haven't had time to get new pads for it for the rear (I heard the squeelers on the pads randomly hitting the rotors) I think it probably needs new rotors too, not sure.

Any recommendations on good pads that I can get at O'Reileys or NAPA?

Also she said the squeeling is real bad now, I'm pretty sure it's the rear brakes, anyone else have any ideas? (it's when it's rolling)

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definately sounds like pads to me, you might even notice when you drive if you apply a little pressure to the pedal that the noise goes away as your rolling. I have seen many people replace the pads and not turn the rotors (cut) causing this. I dont know about your area but here in sw florida I purchased a set of rear pads for my 02 kon for $65. with a lifetime warentee that was 2 years ago. I have changed out the pads twice for free both front and back. I looked at the warentee and it says its only for manf defects but every time I go in they look up my info and swap em out for free no questions asked. The ones I purchased were Duralast gold cmax (Premium ceramic Ultra Quiet - Premium ceramic pad with a patented nitrile rubber shim, includes disc-brake hardware kit ) So for $65. I have had a total of 2 sets so far not bad imo. I had the rotors turned for $10 bucks a pop. Not a hard job at all I even had my E brake shoes purchased there and they too have a lifetime warentee. Money is tight and to be honest I woud have went with the cheap pads ( 24 bucks or so) but the store manager told me I can swap em out when ever they get bad so I decided to go with the best they had I thought he was just trying to make a bigger sale but he stood by his word I even bought the pads and shoes for my wifes honda there and some friends have gone there and everyone gets pads swaped out when there bad/low. Hope this help a little and please dont forget to cut the rotors even if they look good, as the pads wear the outer lip that is not touched by pads remains the same thickness. Good luck

OP
OP
ecordell

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
Yea they'll definetely be getting surfaced (unless they're out of spec) then they'll be replaced. So you think spring for the higher $ pad rather than the first upgrade to general ceramic pads ($32.29)?

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definately go ceramic, I went with the gold c max cause they came with the shims etc. And thats every time I change them out I get the whole package pads and hardware for that 1 price. I really did not need the hardware / shims but hay for less the 70 bucks I keep getting everything new sounded good to me ( peace of mind ). I believe they had the rotors for like 48 bucks each also But im holding out for some drilled and sltted rotors. In any case its the wifes truck and if she drives anything like my wife the ceramic will run cooler with less brake dust so all in all its worth it. Any other questions feel free to ask if I dont have the answer I will have no problem helpn you find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365