Straight Axle swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anybody swap the IFS for a straght axle, i am going to do it so i can have 12-14" of lift and rockwell axles, and was wondering if anybody has any info on doing a straight axle swap on a Tahoe.

here is a pic of the tahoe i wanna lift.
1555551_10151907060809067_873910762_n.jpg

1779071_10151910013604067_1429902015_n.jpg

and here is a picture of my everyday driver

1012506_10151626172319067_926063400_n.jpg

Last edited:

rabbiporkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a couple of these. there's a bunch of ways of doing it depending on how much money you want to spend.

Lentsnh2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this be for a mud truck or just sh!ts and giggles?

If you want Rockwells, you'll need to hand over the cash. They aren't as cheap as they used to be. You'll also have to spend some serious money on suspension, links and a full chassis frame. Driveshafts, motor, transmission and Transfercase will all have to be replaced due to the immense weight of the extra chassis frame, axles and tires.

OP
OP
K

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the set of rockwell 2.5 ton axles, I am keeping the 5.3 motor and the 4l60e trans, i will be replaceing the transfer case with a passenger side drop one, my suspension will be leaf springs (lift springs from 80's chevy truck.)
I will build some trailing arms, I just gotta figure out where the weak points on the tahoe frame are.

Lentsnh2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the set of rockwell 2.5 ton axles, I am keeping the 5.3 motor and the 4l60e trans, i will be replaceing the transfer case with a passenger side drop one, my suspension will be leaf springs (lift springs from 80's chevy truck.)
I will build some trailing arms, I just gotta figure out where the weak points on the tahoe frame are.

You might want a beefier transmission... 60e transmissions can barely handle a modded 5.3. A 80e MIGHT hold up better to the stress.

Why a passenger side drop t-case? Rockwells are a centered chunk axle. Make sure that it is a strong t-case. None of that chain-driven stuff. An Atlas or a built up NP205 might hold up. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/131-0505-np205-transfer-case/

Why leaf springs? Get the proper equipment (links and coilovers) and never have to worry about snapping leaf packs or warping them.

When running huge tires, axles and very rigid suspension, ANY point on the frame will be a weak point. You'll need to properly build a drop link cage to help support the frame and reduce stress on all components. It's all about engineering stress points.

Last edited:

Mighty Mouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are using the rocks I am guessing you plan on 44's or bigger and hopefully planning for a mud truck. If it's offroad only just swap a th400 in once you destroy the 60e. Going as tall as you are I would link it and run coilovers. Leaf springs will work fine but you will want to run antiwrap bars of some sort.

oh1yukonslt

Wikitsikone
Reaction score
That big of a lift with those rockwells, it would be wise to build up the frame and cage it in underneath. And 4 link it with coilover suspension. Ditch that 60e and get something better. And IMO with those axles im guessing your going to be running 44's or bigger. I would either build the motor to the nuts or ditch it and get something else with more power to turn those 44's. Will only be as strong as your weakest link. The frame will be the weak point if you don't take away the stress points of everything. Seen so many jacked up rigs look nice parked and then crumble apart every time when taken offroad. All show and no go.

OP
OP
K

Kushdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well I am kinda at a stand still here, I have figured out exaztly how to do it, it will need a FULL roll cage to suport the frame, and inorder to do a strong enough cage I will have to destoy everything that make the tahoe a nice veical, No headliner, no dash, no fenderwells, no A/C, No 4l60e trans,

it could be done with coilover springs, but leaf springs will put to much force at the front of the frame.

So i think i gotta sell the blue tahoe and buy a better suited mud truck

I really did want the 00-06 tahoe body style, but i will have to make too many compermises to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dap365