Strange Remote Start Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealer install the factory remote start in my 08 LT. It works really well with one exception- the heater doesn't always seem to come on with the remote start. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. There's not a ton of sense pre-starting the truck if the effin thing isn't heating up anyway- yeah, I know the heater will be warm as soon as I get in, but still.

Anybody else had this issue? The intermittent part is what has got me nervous. I had to coach the dealer in regards to what they had to do to install this in the first place (had to show them them the freaking TSB), there's no way they'll be able to figure out what is going on.....

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dealer install the factory remote start in my 08 LT. It works really well with one exception- the heater doesn't always seem to come on with the remote start. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. There's not a ton of sense pre-starting the truck if the effin thing isn't heating up anyway- yeah, I know the heater will be warm as soon as I get in, but still.

Anybody else had this issue? The intermittent part is what has got me nervous. I had to coach the dealer in regards to what they had to do to install this in the first place (had to show them them the freaking TSB), there's no way they'll be able to figure out what is going on.....

If your car is cold, what's the point of blowing in ambient temp air? Don't remote start the car next time, turn the heater to 75 and put it in auto. It won't blow til the car gets hot enough and the water temp is warm enough

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing this. So, last night I made sure the heat was on before I shut it off. This morning, I hit autostart and got in a warm vehicle. I'm sure the solution is probably something else, I've read something about leaving on "Auto" before you turn it off and it activating the temp controls for the next start, but I haven't tested this theory yet.

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your car is cold, what's the point of blowing in ambient temp air? Don't remote start the car next time, turn the heater to 75 and put it in auto. It won't blow til the car gets hot enough and the water temp is warm enough

When I remote start it, by the time I get in the truck (5-10 mins), the windshield is defrosted, the air blowing IS warm and the cabin is toasty. I don't have the auto heat/air on my LT, just the basic dual-zone dials.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Mine has been doing this. So, last night I made sure the heat was on before I shut it off. This morning, I hit autostart and got in a warm vehicle. I'm sure the solution is probably something else, I've read something about leaving on "Auto" before you turn it off and it activating the temp controls for the next start, but I haven't tested this theory yet.

No "auto" setting in my LT....... Let me know if you figure anything out. Its more of an annoyance than a problem but at least we can console eachother that we aren't alone with the issue. Gotta be something goofy in the programming but I'm not its worth the hassle of taking to the dealer. That'll just frustrate the hell out of me watching those clowns run around in circles trying to figure it out.

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I talked to a friend who has an LTZ and he says his does this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, his previous Denali was the same way. My husband's Silvy works flawlessly, as far as I know. Mine didn't do it yesterday when I went to work, but it did do it when I left for lunch. I dunno what to tell you, but apparently it's common.

Also wanted to add my Mom's Impala has been doing this too. All the cars in question are NNBS. Must be some of that lovely GM electric engineering, that they're known for. ;)

Last edited:

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2011 ltz says that the heat will come on if the vehicle senses that it is cold enough to blow heat. Summer time when its hot it will turn on the a/c if its mildly warm inside it doesnt come on. is that the same with everyone elses maybe?

Peaches

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be, but on the days in question the temperature is well below 30°. Oddly enough the heat came on when it was closer to 40°, which is the cut off for the heat coming on.

SirJAG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well i would like to add that on mine if the external temp is <40F then the heaters come on and blows on high @ 90F. if the external temp is <30F the above is true and the butt warmers kick on for both seats as well. makes no difference what the unit was set too on power off...mine is LT 2011

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even worse...

I've twice now experienced a problem with my remote start where my 08 LT's security system will not allow my truck to start at all...I've had to disconnect the battery to get it working. I'm told it's because of shoddy wiring of the remote start interfering with the security functions. A second opinion was that my battery was low, which somehow tripped up the module for the remote start, causing the problem. Not sure if these problems are related to yours or not, but it seems like remotes starters are involved...first post! Boom!

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've twice now experienced a problem with my remote start where my 08 LT's security system will not allow my truck to start at all...I've had to disconnect the battery to get it working. I'm told it's because of shoddy wiring of the remote start interfering with the security functions. A second opinion was that my battery was low, which somehow tripped up the module for the remote start, causing the problem. Not sure if these problems are related to yours or not, but it seems like remotes starters are involved...first post! Boom!

Hey Matt, welcome. You mentioned shoddy wiring- is your remote start aftermarket or the factory/dealer add-on which is just programming and new key-fobs? We're having issues with the factory add-on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968