Suspension Decisions/Input Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supergas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Tahoe LTZ 4WD, with the 6.2L L9H engine and my "Service Suspension" light came on Saturday.

I have read almost all of the threads here and am trying to make up my mind of a course of action.

I am taking it in to my local dealer and get a diagnosis tomorrow.

If it is just A Part, I will just have them fix it, as it only has 42,000 miles on it.

If it is a major failure, then I need to decide on which way to go.
1. Have it repaired at the dealer back to stock
2. Purchase the Arnott Non Air Conversion system
3. Purchase the Arnott Premium Suspension system which retains the air ride but with a more firm ride.

Has anyone ever disabled the Z55 system and installed Bilstein 5100 shocks??

I will NEVER tow with this truck, it is my Grand Touring vehicle which I have had tuned and it runs very well with around 400 HP at the rear wheels.

So my dilemma is which one of the three, or if someone has a better solution, I am open to any and all input.

I will probably add Eibach Sway Bars at the same time.

Thanks,

Supergas

Last edited:
Reaction score
read the sticky topic, just takes about $10 to buy some resistors, 2 to 4 ohm 25w to 100w whatever you can find, 1 on each shock and no more error messages. Then you can do any shock/strut you want.

OP
OP
Supergas

Supergas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As i said in original post, I read all or most of the posts.. I do not want to put a Band Aid on it just to disable the code.

I am looking to improve the handling of the vehicle.

Thanks Tony for your feedback.

SG

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what Scott is saying, if you remove the Z55 system, you'll need to install the resisters to keep the 'Service Suspension' light from coming on, and potentially putting the vehicle into limp mode. Then, you are free to modify the suspension with any aftermarket parts you want to use.

OP
OP
Supergas

Supergas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
CTD, I understand what he is saying and I appreciate all input.. I went to the dealer today and have a bad rear shock which is going to be replaced tomorrow.

I am going to keep the Autoride system and I may buy tony's kit, but am also debating if I really want to lower it as i plan on doing a lot of traveling and do not want to limit the terrain I can go on since it is 4WD.. if I do not go with the full AutoRide Cornering kit from tony, then I will add the sway bars.

BTW, my Service Suspension code did not put the Tahoe into limp mode.. I can still eat hemi's :Big Laugh:

SG

bstrong29er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Supergas...

Let me know what replacement shock you go with.

I have the same problem on my 2011. Rear shock is bad and debating on ACDelco vs Arnott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968