Think my engine just failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody measures oil by weight, but BMW has a system that monitors the oil level while driving. I've got a 2001 BMW 330i that has a low oil light that can light up while you are driving. GM could do the same thing, all it would take is a slight reprogram to have the oil level checked every few seconds instead of only at startup.

Would that be truly accurate calculation, though, as the oil moves throughout the system?

07whitetahoe

Reaction score
Why rely on your computer to tell you the oil is low? Just check it every so often if you know it's using oil?

I am sorry your engine had failed, we see these come into the shop using oil more times than I would like. Has it ever been pinpointed whether or not the AFM has anything to do with it? We also see them come in with high miles and not using hardly anything. Really strange stuff

security6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would that be truly accurate calculation, though, as the oil moves throughout the system?

How accurate do you need it? On most cars I've seen, the oil level difference between when the motor is running and when the oil has been sitting is less than 1/2 quart. You could set the sensor to light up only if it detects that you are down more than 1.5 quarts (so in reality you might only be down 1 quart) to make up for the difference in level between a running engine and a sitting engine.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How accurate do you need it? On most cars I've seen, the oil level difference between when the motor is running and when the oil has been sitting is less than 1/2 quart. You could set the sensor to light up only if it detects that you are down more than 1.5 quarts (so in reality you might only be down 1 quart) to make up for the difference in level between a running engine and a sitting engine.

On most cars? How would you know that? The higher the RPM the more oil you will have up in the block and wraping around the crank. It would also depend on how hot your oil is.

Last edited:

Polomintus

Reaction score
Dom, I'm sorry to hear mate this happened, can only echo what the guys here have said, I wish you and your family well. Sounds like your good lady is getting into the new car and the mod for it, good luck mate.

Cheers POLO :(

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Just an update on this POS Malibu.

I'm not going to mod it in any way beyond a K&N drop in filter. The less money I waste on it the less I'll lose when I scrap this POS for a Tahoe Z71 or Yukon in a few years. I will buy new, and I'll wait until everything has been out a few years. At the earliest I'll pick up a 2016, unless GM decides to install a different trans like they did with the NNBS in 2009.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the malibu makes it a POS? I've always heard that this latest generation was a good car.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Im so sorry man,watch a recall happen within next few years!I have nighmares about this stuff,I dont have much money and really need
transportation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1