Think my engine just failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R.I.P. Tahoe

Ditto to how sad this is. Very glad you and the fam have transportation and are safe tho!

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I'm not going anywhere. I like this place too much. Plus, this forum will help keep me informed on all the Tahoe stuffs. I'm interested in seeing what the next gen Tahoe will bring to the table.

As for the Malibu, no doubt I got robbed. Well, technically my wife got robbed, and she seems to be loving it. Because I'm currently unemployed I couldn't be on the loan. Too much risk. She's so pleased with the dealer that she's going to write thank you letters. I'm just going to let her be ignorant of the numbers game in order to let sleeping dogs lay.

Btw, looks like the wife has been bitten by the mod bug for the Malibu. She's already asked for strut tower bar, rear sway bar, upgraded brakes, oem fog lights, 18 inch wheels, window tint, oem ltz trim led tail lights, rksport body kit, gm accessories spoiler, and gm accessories grill. At least the modding won't stop with this new car. She's also asked me to make the engine rumble like hers (her car has the same engine). Sounds like it needs intake and exhaust too.

I do have a question though, and maybe a poll should be started for this. Of all the people with NNBS trucks experiencing the engine oil consumption issue, have you ever been warned of the oil being too low by the truck computer while you were driving, or has it always been after the truck sat for a little bit and you go to restart the truck? In my case, I was only ever warned when I would start the truck. This makes me wonder if damage occurred to the bearing(s) during one of my long trips recently and not being informed until I stopped to top off the tank and stayed the truck again. If this is the case, I can see how the bearing held on as long as possible. I just wish it had held on 1,000 miles longer. If it had given out near my house this thread would be about me upgrading the engine to a 6.0 or 6.2.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
verbatim from service manual,

"the ipc illuminates the engine oil level low message in the dic when the ecm detect a low engine oil level condition. the ecm only monitors the oil level switch signal circuit for a brief period between key-on and ignition crank. the ipc receives a class 2 message from the ecm requesting illumination."

so you get a message at key on but you must rely on the oil pressure gauge to make sure you have continuous pressure level which has a minimum of 6, 18, and 24 psi at 1k,2k, and 4k rpm respectively.

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Well, that answers that question. This explains how my theory is plausible. As long as pressure appears to be fine, you can run the engine dangerously low on oil and cause damage while driving long distance. It sure would be nice if GM were to change this for constant monitoring.

Last edited:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup last time I got a LOW ENGINE OIL ADD OIL. It was when I started the Kon up. After it had been sitting for maybe half an hour. So I guess it is when you start it up. But you also said you had filled up about 15 miles before it failed seems weird that the DIC didn't show up anything.
This SUCKS man I have an 07 too.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that answers that question. This explains how my theory is plausible. As long as pressure appears to be fine, you can run the engine dangerously low on oil and cause damage while driving long distance. It sure would be nice if GM were to change this for constant monitoring.

This bothers me. Good to know.

AmazinglySmooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never owned a GM product until my '11 Denali. I hope I don't regret it. Such an expense is ridiculous.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Currently the system does not exist at lest in the automobile feasible world that could compensate and account for a moving vehicle with measuring the oil by weight to determine if a loss of oil volume has occurred. That is what the pressure gauge is supposed to help determine by it own way of showing a loss of pressure. And risk assessment dictates that when properly built the odds of massive oil loss are very high. But if it does happen once again it is expected that oil pressure will warn you. However the warning system may not be setup to monitor the minimums in current day. In the future this will change.

security6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently the system does not exist at lest in the automobile feasible world that could compensate and account for a moving vehicle with measuring the oil by weight to determine if a loss of oil volume has occurred. That is what the pressure gauge is supposed to help determine by it own way of showing a loss of pressure. And risk assessment dictates that when properly built the odds of massive oil loss are very high. But if it does happen once again it is expected that oil pressure will warn you. However the warning system may not be setup to monitor the minimums in current day. In the future this will change.

Nobody measures oil by weight, but BMW has a system that monitors the oil level while driving. I've got a 2001 BMW 330i that has a low oil light that can light up while you are driving. GM could do the same thing, all it would take is a slight reprogram to have the oil level checked every few seconds instead of only at startup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1