Thinking bout these Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardcore.. And being that you and I share in on the same OCDness, id like a nice neat one to replace it with:)

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a picture? I wanna see the aftermath.

believe it or not, I managed to salvage them.. thankfully only the top portion of the headlight is visible once installed. Some black silicone sealant covered up my dremel/heatgun/baking/razorblade/butterknife attempt to pry that lens off:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
make sure you ask what they did for the gaps around the shrouds.

From what I understand the gap around the shroud that you're getting is on account of the type of shroud you are using which from what I gather isn't fully round but is instead asymmetrical. We are in fact using different shrouds which are fully round.

Btw, we decided to also cut about a square inch of the vertical beam behind the housing so as to recede the back of the inner projectors further into the housing so that they aren't up against the lens. This also allows us to get rid of more than half of the back of the inner shroud. Cause there's less distance to cover with the projector receded further back.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay so a little update on my install.

Drove from DC to Richmond yesterday to meet up at the installers' shop, got there around 10:30am. Got almost everything done but the final fitting. Turns out this is very detailed and very time consuming work, especially to get the proportions and the angles perfect.

First thing was to remove the pos ballasts and wiring to my angel eye housings and do the proper install of the 4 new morimoto mini ballasts, ground, and all associated wiring. Then we started on the retro ...

The inner housings are the most difficult, because to get them right (near the edge of the chrome lip so that they're not up against the housing lens) their sides have to be trimmed away and a one inch square hole has to be cut from the vertical aluminum beam behind the housings so that the back of the projector can recede into it. When all that is done the work of lining them up right inside the housings begins, again this takes a while to get right with the step beams. In the end, when both the fitting and the angles are right, the inners got their final JB weld (about $100 worth by the time all is done).

We took a break from the retro and dealt with the now failed experiment of my aftermarket tails. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29576 Problem was that we waisted over an hour on these that we could have spent on the retrofitting ... but anyway, it is what it is.

Time by now was running short, the last thing was the fitting of the outer projectors. Other than the same precise light beam alignment as the inners, this fitting was a lot simpler. The projectors needed no trimming and we cleared the frame in back of the projector by a whopping 2mm. lol

That's when I resentfully slapped back the angel eyes and drove back to DC in freakin' sunday beach traffic. :whymewhyme:

But the hardest part, and the part that required me to be at the shop, is now done. This week he's gonna install the shrouds, either the gattlings if they work or the custom ones he has designed, and then he'll just seal the housings and the retro is finished.

It looks like he'll be driving up next saturday to put them in. At that time he'll also install the blinkers and drls which are as we speak in transit to me. Wire/connect everything up and that will be it. :)

On a side note, I think we came up with a pretty neat idea on the drl and blinker situation. What we decided is the following. Both the lower leds of each housing will be switchbacks. During the day both will light up as drls and both will switchback to blinkers. At night both will be off and will act only as blinkers leaving a clean look of the quads.

Phew, update complete. :)

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Oh and a few random pics from the day can be found in the album below, apologies for the grainy iPad pics but the light was down most of the day for beam alignment.

http://gallery.me.com/soulsea#100050&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtisleefarmer