Trans problem after new exshaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdawg901

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAN I GOT UP EARLY TO GET MY FLOS PUT ON DUALS COMIN OUT BEHIND EACH TIRE LOOKS GREAT PULL OUT RUN SOUNDIN GREAT GO TO AZ GRAB SOME ITEMS U KNOW START MY WAY HOME TRUCK STARTS JERKIN LIKE IT WANTS TO STALL GET STARTED MESSIN WITH THE TB BECAUSE IT WAS SOUNDING LIKE IT WAS SUCKIN AIR REALLY LOUD CUT THE TRUK OFF STATED BACK SOUND WENT AWAY PUT IN DRIVE IT SLAMS IN TO GEAR LIKE THE IDLES TO AND WHEN I DRIVE IN D IT WONT SHIFT I CAN MANUALLY SHIFT FROM 1 TO 2 BUT NO 2 TO 3 HELP :emotions122:

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAN I GOT UP EARLY TO GET MY FLOS PUT ON DUALS COMIN OUT BEHIND EACH TIRE LOOKS GREAT PULL OUT RUN SOUNDIN GREAT GO TO AZ GRAB SOME ITEMS U KNOW START MY WAY HOME TRUCK STARTS JERKIN LIKE IT WANTS TO STALL GET STARTED MESSIN WITH THE TB BECAUSE IT WAS SOUNDING LIKE IT WAS SUCKIN AIR REALLY LOUD CUT THE TRUK OFF STATED BACK SOUND WENT AWAY PUT IN DRIVE IT SLAMS IN TO GEAR LIKE THE IDLES TO AND WHEN I DRIVE IN D IT WONT SHIFT I CAN MANUALLY SHIFT FROM 1 TO 2 BUT NO 2 TO 3 HELP :emotions122:

A automobile is a lot like a human being. When you have a problem, you have to take it to a doctor that can diagnose the problem and find a cure for your problems. Until you know all the particulars, blood pressure, pulse, resperation, and do tests, there is no way to give anything more then a guess.

Let's say they took the cross member off the truck. Let's say that they took the transmission lines off the transmission. Let's say that they crossed the transmission lines when they put them back on. Maybe that would cause a problem.

Let's say that maybe there was a electric shift module and they disconnected one of the wires or one of the wires leaned against a hot exhaust that was not there before - but is there now. Maybe it shorted something out and now the transmission cannot function as well as it coudl before.

Some of these performace upgrades are nothing more then something to make a honest person part with their money. They might look cool or they might sound cool, but if they are not designed properly, they can cost you thousands of dollars to repair when something goes wrong. Just because someone works in a muffler shop, doesn't mean that they are certified mechanic's or that they know what they are doing when it comes to mechanical repairs and they might could have done something wrong.

First stop, take it back to a muffler shop. Second stop, take it to a transmission shop.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
+1 for fail on gratuitous capitalization, and lack of common sentence structure.

Take it back to the shop that did the exhaust, and tell them to check it. If they don't find anything, or don't want to fix it, get a second opinion at a transmission shop. If the tranny shop blames the muffler shop, have them document the problem, and take it back to the muffler shop. They'll want to fix it. It could just be bad luck though, so don't be quick to blame the exhaust shop, unless something is obviously their fault, and they don't make it right.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't even read that. Proper grammar goes a long way, typing like that has got to be more difficult than it really should be.

On to the problem: Get under there and look around for lose wires or anyhting that does not look right. Next step if you found nothing wrong is take it to a shop and let a pro look at it.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
From another thread:

The question is, did they use a "arc welder", to do the work on your exhaust?

Arc welders have been known to do damage to electronic equipment on vehicles. Especially if the ground cable is in the wrong place and not well connected..........

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like just driving it, may be doing more damage. As mentioned earlier, damaged wires, either burnt, or cut, on the main control cable that plugs in on the passenger side of the trans.

I would go straight to a tranny shop and have it checked. They have a tester, that can read the commands to the trans and tell if all is well.

If it was damage caused by the exhaust fabricator, they may not have the expertise to fix the problem.

Also I 2nd the reminder that haks310 brought forward, that arc welding is inherently dangerous on vehicles with ECM’s that have not been disconnected before they got into it.

The dirty little secret about auto ECM’s is that they all have drifted towards “grounding” a circuit to activate it. That saves having to feed a lot of positive amperage through the ECM. Great in a operational sense, but more fragile on the ground side of the circuits. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee