Transmission Fluid/Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Currently replacing the rear main seal on my 2003 Chevy Tahoe 2wd with the 5.3. Decided while I am at it just going to change out the transmission fluid and filter.

I am a little conflicted on a couple things. I want to stick with OEM filter and fluid but I am seeing different types of OEM filters. One that says OEM and another that says OEM Gold. What is the difference between the two and what would you recommend?

The other is how many quarts of fluid does my transmission hold? I see one that says a little over 7 quarts and another that says 12.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bar keeps changing but in the past the AC Delco Gold or Professional usually meant "Made by Someone Else" but meets or exceeds OEM quality...whereas OEM usually meant it was the most current version of the product that was used when your vehicle was made...

when I firsts started seeing AC Delco products listed as Professional or Gold I would have thought it was the best but after trying I found some products weren't as quality as the OEM AC Delco products...I'd stick with the OEMs unless you read enough members who have already "blazed that trail" come up with a better alternative...

Good luck with your Tahoe

Bill

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @SilverSport said about the filter. Every refill of fluid should be with OE fluid and it will always be top off as needed, especially transmission fluid. When you do a transmission service, you are not draining all the transmission fluid. @NickTransmissions can likely tell you what your capacity refill will be but IMO, 12 sounds way too much and I would start out with 4 quarts and start the engine and as it warms up keep checking the fluid level. As it warms up, switch the gears from park to reverse and drive a few times as you "fill as needed". You do not want to overfill. When you see it is at full on the dipstick, road test and then check again. I always do 2 road tests before my OCD self is happy.

When you say you "see one that says a little over 7 quarts and another that says 12 quarts", what or where are you talking about?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently replacing the rear main seal on my 2003 Chevy Tahoe 2wd with the 5.3. Decided while I am at it just going to change out the transmission fluid and filter.

I am a little conflicted on a couple things. I want to stick with OEM filter and fluid but I am seeing different types of OEM filters. One that says OEM and another that says OEM Gold. What is the difference between the two and what would you recommend?

The other is how many quarts of fluid does my transmission hold? I see one that says a little over 7 quarts and another that says 12.
Where are you seeing these filter designations? Are they on GMPartsDirect.com or an aftermarket website?

5.5-6 quarts in the pan (factory deep pan) and another 7 quarts or so in the TC and cooler/cooler lines. Total system, when dry, will take 12-13 quarts.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions, is there an absolute for what transmission will have the shallow pan and what will have the deep pan?
Shallow pan is appx .5-.7 quarts less than the deep pan; no absolutes...The above are general guidelines but as long as whomever's doing the service follows proper procedure, all will be good.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the deep pan always have a dimple area in the bottom of it?
It's more like a "step" on the bottom of the pan.

The deep pan was introduced in like 1997 IIRC. As far as I know, all GMT800s will have the deep pan. The matching oil filter does have 4 feet or dimples where it sits on the pan. Confirm you have the correct filter. The filter and oil pan must match.

If you try installing the shallow pan filter on the deep pan, there's a chance the filter can fall off the plastic tube.

If you try installing the deep pan filter on the shallow pan, the filter will bottom out before the pan hits the rails. If you force it, you'll break it.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the deep pan always have a dimple area in the bottom of it?
No dimples on any 700R4 or 4L60E pans - perhaps you're thinking of TH400 pans...Those had three dimples (early models) then two dimples (later models).

The 4L60E pans changed in 2004 when they integrated the dipstick stop shelf into the pan's design...So you will see a step in the area of the dipstick tube...This step replaces the separate stamped sheet metal style dipstick stop that went into all 4L60E deep pan designs from 1996+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1skyline