U-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've read where you can test to see if your u-joins are bad by starting your engine, brakes applied put gear in drive, and then in reverse. If you hear a clunk sound your u-joints are bad. I heard the noise, plus occasionally i hear a clunking sound when turning like in a drive thru. Any other tests that any of you know of for u-joints?

ChazMan

Reaction score
One day I was in a car with talking to a guy who works in a driveline shop where they repair/rebuild driveshaft U-Joints and such. I asked him how often should one rebuild the U-Joints and he said:
If you are towing often, every 25K miles.
If you are not towing, every 50K miles.
To me, that sounds too often but I don't want to get stranded on hwy with my driveshaft dropped on the ground either. There is no zerk fittings to grease on the U-joingts on my Esc.

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a heavier screw sriver and put it in between the joint and pry back and forth there shouldnt be alot of play. thats how ive been told to do it

sloppydrippins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the clunk

I just went through some similar stuff, had my u joints replaced trying to figure out why I had this roaring noise at 50 mph +. The new u joints did NOT fix that problem. You mentioned hearing a noise when you're turning.. is the vehicle a 4WD? I'm about to replace my front CV joints in the IFS, and if that fixes the noise I'll get back to you with some news.

ChazMan

Reaction score
When I installed a new U-Joint on my farm tractor's PTO driven equipement, there was ZERO play. I think it would be the same for car/truck u-joint.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've read where you can test to see if your u-joins are bad by starting your engine, brakes applied put gear in drive, and then in reverse. If you hear a clunk sound your u-joints are bad. I heard the noise, plus occasionally i hear a clunking sound when turning like in a drive thru. Any other tests that any of you know of for u-joints?

thats correct. Truck off, in park, crawl under and with both hands see how much you can freely move driveshaft back and forth.

Cheap insurance to have them replaced, beats walking when you sling a driveshaft at 75 MPH.

OP
OP
My01yuk

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through some similar stuff, had my u joints replaced trying to figure out why I had this roaring noise at 50 mph +. The new u joints did NOT fix that problem. You mentioned hearing a noise when you're turning.. is the vehicle a 4WD? I'm about to replace my front CV joints in the IFS, and if that fixes the noise I'll get back to you with some news.

Yes it is a 4wd. Keep me posted.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

One day I was in a car with talking to a guy who works in a driveline shop where they repair/rebuild driveshaft U-Joints and such. I asked him how often should one rebuild the U-Joints and he said:
If you are towing often, every 25K miles.
If you are not towing, every 50K miles.
To me, that sounds too often but I don't want to get stranded on hwy with my driveshaft dropped on the ground either. There is no zerk fittings to grease on the U-joingts on my Esc.

I brought it used but the 1st owner who lived in NJ must have towed a boat. He had fog lights on the rear bumper, and you can see rust build up under neath quite a bit.

BubZX

Reaction score

the roaring noise ur hearing could be a wheel bearing ready to go out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts