VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

css49017

Reaction score
That's because the Bluetooth is built in to that VCIM (where it wasn't built in to your previous one) and that's why you have it. If you would have just installed it yourself (without getting your info flashed on to it, you would have Bluetooth, and you would also have remote link. OnStar would think you had an Escalade.

Well ya that's the whole point in doing this mod is to have Bluetooth, all the rest is gravy, yes you are right on not letting them know I have a suburban but if ever my wife and kids get into a accident and are in need of help, I would like them to be found :)

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

Yup. That sucks man. Gotta say, I love the remote link app....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ya when I had it on my Escalade I loved it, oh well...

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

What was the part number on your VCIM you bought? Maybe you got one the doesnt support remotelink app

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Glad I could help you out!

Its installed already or I would post the number, but it supports Remotelink because my 2010 Escalade did, it was my mistake letting them know I have a 2007 Suburban instead of a 2010 Escalade

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its installed already or I would post the number, but it supports Remotelink because my 2010 Escalade did, it was my mistake letting them know I have a 2007 Suburban instead of a 2010 Escalade[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge if the VCIM is made by LG it should have the remotelink capability. If it is made by Continental it will not support remote link. Do you remember if it was an LG unit?

css49017

Reaction score
I added the new controls on the right side of the steering wheel to reflect the answer and hang up buttons.

I did notice in the Escalade it has 2 little grills above your head by the door for mics or something and my suburban only has one, wondering what the other one is for and if I need to add it, making Bluetooth calls work perfect and clarity is fine so not sure.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Its installed already or I would post the number, but it supports Remotelink because my 2010 Escalade did, it was my mistake letting them know I have a 2007 Suburban instead of a 2010 Escalade

To my knowledge if the VCIM is made by LG it should have the remotelink capability. If it is made by Continental it will not support remote link. Do you remember if it was an LG unit?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is the LG model, I know remote link works and worked on it, it was my brothers Escalade that he bought back from the insurance company.

The reason its not going to work is Onstars software shows I have a 2007 and to the software its not compatible, so if I would have left it tagged to the escalade it would have worked, but would rather have the correct vehicle in the system in case of a emergency then have remotelink.

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grills you are refering to in the escalade are for the interior temp sensor.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did this mod over the weekend in my "2011 GMC Seirra extended cab"

Couple things I noticed...

- Remote Link work fine. Lock/Unlock, remote start/stop, horn & lights on/off work fine.
- Map showing where my truck is works fine
- Oil life shows ZERO when it's not on the DIC
- Gas gauge reads full when it's not
- Fuel range reads 1221 miles
- Mp TPMS readings
- On my rear view mirror the OnStar light is red instead of green, but I'm able to use OnStar fine

I called from in the vehicle by pressing the OnStar button on my rear view mirror. I told her I just purchased this vehicle. She said congrats on purchasing my 2011 GMC Seirra extended cab. She gave me 3 months free OnStar and took about 5 minutes to connect everything.

Even though it's a 2011 VCIM with the 1 plug (from the fin on the roof) instead of two, I just looked at both VCIMs, saw which wire was plugged in to the corresponding spot on the VCIM, and everything works (except for what I mentioned above). Maybe the splitter/combiner would fix that? I'm not sure. I have the splitter/combiner but my dash it too hard to pull it out, just to try. Maybe I'll try at a later date.

On a side note, I've been wanting to do this since I bought my truck. I've been so worried to o this because of all the information I've seen about others not working etc. I finally pulled the trigger (rather quickly) and purchased one from nick2440. Then for the next 12 hours, I regretted my decision because I kept reading more and more thinking it wouldn't work. After a bunch of *** back and forth and speaking with another member, I was somewhat OK with going through with the purchase. Once I received it, it took about 20 minutes to install (because of my iPad mini dash), but everything worked great and I'm 100% happy with it. Thanks again Nick!!!

Last edited:

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is about the same '11 vcim in an '08
on remote link
fuel level works
oil life is stuck at 87% DIC is 53%
no pressure readings---DIC shows 35 lbs all around

no show stopper but curious to why it don't read some variables

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but curious to why it don't read some variables

I'm thinking because pre 09's just didn't send that info to the VCIM, so it's showing what the last reading was in the OEM vehicle it was in

no idea really

Would be nice, but definitely not a deal breaker. I haven't even checked to make sure the Bluetooth works, I just wanted the Remote Link

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No deal breaker for us either
wife loves the remote app
We have to say onstar or unstaar (southern) then bluetooth etc.....

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas guage should start working I a while. Gotta drive it. Reset your oil life on the truck then reset the remote link. They both worked on mine but I remember now like your situation not at first.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Wanna hear a funny.

Onstar sent me a email and said my service was deactivated and I would not be able to use them in a emergency. It then said if ever interested to reactivate your account hit the onstar button.

I replied to the email and said "can I reactivate my service during an emergency in case I need help?

I got one of those robo responses but then hours later got a email from onstar saying thanks for the inquiry. Yes you can reactivate at any time no matter what the circumstances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg