VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still pissed because they won't activate mine due to it showing the wrong vehicle. In the end it actually might not be 100% compatible. From a 2010 Buick Enclave in my 08 Tahoe. Have bluetooth but not onstar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still pissed because they won't activate mine due to it showing the wrong vehicle. In the end it actually might not be 100% compatible. From a 2010 Buick Enclave in my 08 Tahoe. Have bluetooth but not onstar.

Don't tell them what vehicle you have (if that doesn't matters to you), just call them and say you would like to set up a new account

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried many times. It's like they have my vin # each time I call.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried many times. It's like they have my vin # each time I call.

Call from a different phone number, they might have your numbered stored and as soon as you call it pulls your account. And say you just bought this car and want to set up onstar

css49017

Reaction score
I have a 07 LTZ Suburban, with a active onstar sub, I picked up a 2010 Escalade VCIM, I read everything
in this thread before I tried to do anything with it and came to the conclusion to go to my GMC dealer and ask them if they could program the escalade VCIM to match my VIN and vehicle info and they said sure, so I pulled my stock one out right there and installed the Escalade VCIM and he took about 30 mins and brought it back to me and handed me a sheet of paper stating it updated to my VIN, I explained to him after what I was doing and he told me he has never heard of anyone doing it before me and hoped it works.

So I called onstar from the suburban and told them the dealer had to install a new VCIM and I was checking to make sure everything was ok, they said yes all is good.

Bluetooth works great and happy as can be, onstar works great, but remote link wont work because onstar thinks its a 07 so they say its not compatible with it, but I tried to explain to the onstar dude I have a 2010 VCIM and it is, but he still said it wont work so I left it at that.

Everything works fine, so I want to thank everyone for there advice in this thread because it kept me from making any mistakes.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 LTZ Suburban, with a active onstar sub, I picked up a 2010 Escalade VCIM, I read everything
in this thread before I tried to do anything with it and came to the conclusion to go to my GMC dealer and ask them if they could program the escalade VCIM to match my VIN and vehicle info and they said sure, so I pulled my stock one out right there and installed the Escalade VCIM and he took about 30 mins and brought it back to me and handed me a sheet of paper stating it updated to my VIN, I explained to him after what I was doing and he told me he has never heard of anyone doing it before me and hoped it works.

So I called onstar from the suburban and told them the dealer had to install a new VCIM and I was checking to make sure everything was ok, they said yes all is good.

Bluetooth works great and happy as can be, onstar works great, but remote link wont work because onstar thinks its a 07 so they say its not compatible with it, but I tried to explain to the onstar dude I have a 2010 VCIM and it is, but he still said it wont work so I left it at that.

Everything works fine, so I want to thank everyone for there advice in this thread because it kept me from making any mistakes.

That's because the Bluetooth is built in to that VCIM (where it wasn't built in to your previous one) and that's why you have it. If you would have just installed it yourself (without getting your info flashed on to it, you would have Bluetooth, and you would also have remote link. OnStar would think you had an Escalade.

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because the Bluetooth is built in to that VCIM (where it wasn't built in to your previous one) and that's why you have it. If you would have just installed it yourself (without getting your info flashed on to it, you would have Bluetooth, and you would also have remote link. OnStar would think you had an Escalade.

Yup. That sucks man. Gotta say, I love the remote link app....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep... you could've definitely had the onstar app work with remote start and all that. Many people have done it before.

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What was the part number on your VCIM you bought? Maybe you got one the doesnt support remotelink app

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Found another part number that works. I installed 20783877 that I got from someone on here. Didn't lose onstar functionality either. Hope this helps people in the future. Picture of the unit is below.

Glad I could help you out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
le frog