Very Hard 1-2 shift, Service Stabilitrak Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Brougham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its been suggested many time to go to a dealership and have the Tech II hooked up while this is happening.

I managed to make it into the dealer once last year while this was occurring, unfortunately, all it said was that it was in failsafe mode, there was no reason given for the fault lights. They basically shrugged their shoulders and admitted they had no clue.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

One other thing.

I went through all the wiring in the TC system from one end to the other, checking for broken wires, continuity issues etc etc. Found no issues.

This problem completely disappeared for almost a year after replacing my battery, the old one no longer would hold a charge.

I've recently had it happen a couple of times and both of those were when I had almost completely drained my battery on a jobsite, just barely got the truck to start.

It seems to me that, at least in my case, the problem is caused by low power in the charging system.

scotttick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same Problem

I had the same problem with my 2009 Chevy Tahoe, getting the messages "Service Stabilitrack, Traction Control Off, etc." Happened on numerous occasions...could usually drive at a speed of 30mph tops...at one point did lose everything...luckily was already headed toward pulling off side of road. 1st dealership "serviced" my vehicle, stating the issue was the throttle body. And that is was regular maintenance and I was charged...didn't fix the problem. When it reoccurred...2nd dealership, towed & replaced throttle body at no cost under power train warranty...that problem has yet to reoccur? Does seem like when you look at these forums, we are not the only ones...

I came across the same issue, while driving down the highway all primary traction controls failed because of a bad Throttle Plate Position Sensor. The computers backup was to monitor the RPMs limiting you to only 2K (can't get much speed at 2K RPMs). Tried cleaning it at the dealership and it worked about a month, went back and they replaced it under warranty. This has fixed the problem so far. My only concern was that my K&N may have caused it. Too much oil on a filter may dirty the sensor, so I recharged my filter and removed all excess oild. Hope it works.

nameohaT70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just experienced this problem last night. rough idle, sluggish acceleration, stabilitrak message, service traction control, engine check light is on now.

Finalphaze408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just experienced this problem last night. rough idle, sluggish acceleration, stabilitrak message, service traction control, engine check light is on now.

My 07 Tahoe developed this last month, now it just sits in front of the house cuz no wants to drive it. Did u get this fixed?

Yo Eleven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can add my truck to the list of this ongoing problem. I have had on at least three times the stablitrak/traction control/ and check engine light go on with associated performance changes. Some work was done at the dealership but on at least one time the truck started working again and they could not find anything wrong.

Well this past week, all heck broke loose. Error messages coming up and the truck totally screwy. It was like a gorilla was loose in the back of the truck jumping up and down going bezerk. Amazing I was able to pull over without smashing into someone on the highway. Yes, this all happened while the car was in motion on a highway. No need to go into detail as the former posts describe the symptoms perfectly.

I did get a call from the dealer now saying that the problem has to do with cylinders misfiring and some other problems. They have to get into contact with the extended warranty people to see what is covered. This stinks. I am driving a truck that obviously is DANGEROUS!!!!!!!! Why isn't there a recall on these vehicles. Someone is gonna get hurt real bad one day. This is serious. Something needs to be done!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!!! Got a call a few minutes ago that it isn't as bad as they thought. They say there is some TSB for some valve cover or something and that needs to be replaced and should fix the problem. REALLY?????

Last edited:

seabas22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Add me to the list of yukon 07 issues with water in doors, passenger window issues intermittent, stabilitrak issues and shaking at 70mph. The other day was very scary on the highway. The stabilitrak service came on while driving, first it was very jumpy 1/2 gears and then it wouldn't shift into proper gears on the highway, and nearly stalled out. Pulled off the highway, checked under the hood, restarted the vehicle and it was like nothing ever happened. I do have a little ticking noise when I first start it now, so I don't know if some damage was done, but seems to run ok for now. This happened midway back on a 200 mile trip and after the restart was ok the last 90 miles home. I've had the stabilitrak light come on a few times before but never really had any issues with before, but after the other day it was like a had angry unicorns messing with the transmission and engine, and was pretty scary. This is a serious safety issue!!! I'm gonna replace the battery since it's almost 4 years old now. Hopefully this issue can be resolved.

seabas22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also will note that the stabilitrak also took out my RPM gauge during that episode the other day, but was fine after restarting. Seems to me that this stabilitrak issue is computer related.

I also had an apparent computer issue a few months ago when my whole dashboard went out. The dealer said they reset the computer and it has worked since.

I also had a bad solenoid on the gas/throttle about a year ago that kept giving a check engine light.

DIY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue on my 2007 Ykon with 70K miles- I am really nervous as it is in the shop now in san diego and they are looking at Valve springs !! I don't want to be a budinski but I may have to point them at the throttle body or teh wheel sensor- The service agent is worthless...

Yo Eleven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I should be getting the yukon back today hopefully. Extended warranty covers it to get it back in working order. However, they tell me there are some sort of wires or something that needs to be replaced. They say not covered under warranty and will cost about a thousand bucks. WHAT!!!!!!! I told them to just forget that for now and get the truck in working order. I have to find out exactly what they are talking about. This is ridiculous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968