Very Hard 1-2 shift, Service Stabilitrak Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that a few times. If it happens and you are near a dealer don't shut it off, they need to hook up the Tech II while it's still throwing the codes. Turning off stabilitrak/TC is a "failsafe" mode that could be caused by any number of issues. Mine was a module on it's way out in the tranny, fixed under powertrain warranty.

TylernKY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same Problem, need help with a true solution. the wheel sensors are not the culprit

Started yesterday afternoon on my way to an emergency farm visit (I use the Suburban for my VET practice.).Lights indicating Stabilitrak and traction controls are now off. Then they go out, then back on four times will driving down highway at approx: 55 MPH. Then it stated to service, which would go on and off. Then finally all off and everything was fine by the time I made it to the farm.
2 hours later, with a very ill animal in back that needed emergency surgery, the same happened again on way to office an hour away. Will lights were blinking on and off , the truck became sluggish and then the steering locked up and then released , after that I tried to pull over and the brakes failed for about 15 seconds, then started working and the truck stalled and would not restart. Thanks to several people, they helped me push the truck off road. Meanwhile having an assistant rush to come and get me and the dying animal. After thirty minutes of trying to keep the animal alive: I tried to restart the truck and it would turn over and would continue trying to crank itself for a solid minute with out me turning the key. after three attempts, it started and no lights and ran great: But, with all the loss time, by the time I made it to the clinic and prepped for surgery the animal died. That 45 minutes of truck trouble has caused me to lose a clients animal , that I could have saved.
This morning, the truck started with no problem. Then at clinic, I go out to start and it did the continual starting sound for about 45 seconds and then it started, but, when drove down the road, between first and second gear a loud boom and jerk and the gauges went haywire and the stereo went to full blast and the brakes quit. This is obvious a very dangerous occurrence that could be deadly.
After searching all the forums etc, this same exact problem is happening to many 07 and 08 tahoes, yukons, denalis, suburbans,silverados, cadialliac xts and envoys, But, to no avail: the solutions that seem to be a multitude of try and see attempts with great costs to the owner that does not seem to work. I do not want to go thru weeks and weeks of attempts of replacing this and that in which does not fix the problem. Also, it is troubling that with hundreds affected, Gm nor the dealers have a solution. This to me is a potential life threatening defect if steering or brakes fail to work properly, especially if it happens at higher speeds as it did with me.
Is the Body Modular sensor truly the culprit? Has anyone really gotten the problem fixed? I want to be able to take it in, but, want to have the solution or the recommendation for the repair center to follow. After talking to three service center associates at three different dealers, all three said they have heard of the problem many times, but have no idea how to fix it...Really!? If lives are lost due to the dangers this proposes, I am afraid it will resemble the Toyota Brake fiasco.
How many vehicles does it take with the same exact problem and dangers before a recall is suggested?
Thank you all and I love Chevrolet, but, this needs to be addressed.
If anyone has had a successful repair, please let me know what you had done. thanks all!!

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TylernKY,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I am glad that you're safe. I would like to investigate this for you. Could you please send me your full contact information? I will need to know your VIN, full name, address, phone number and mileage on your vehicle. Please send this information to [email protected]. When you send this e-mail, please put ATTN Elizabeth or Liz.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, GM Customer Service

Last edited:

dlktahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2009 Chevy Tahoe, getting the messages "Service Stabilitrack, Traction Control Off, etc." Happened on numerous occasions...could usually drive at a speed of 30mph tops...at one point did lose everything...luckily was already headed toward pulling off side of road. 1st dealership "serviced" my vehicle, stating the issue was the throttle body. And that is was regular maintenance and I was charged...didn't fix the problem. When it reoccurred...2nd dealership, towed & replaced throttle body at no cost under power train warranty...that problem has yet to reoccur? Does seem like when you look at these forums, we are not the only ones...

GM Truck Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Yukon SMAE PROBLEM

I think my 2007 Yukon XL has now beat the record for any car I have owned for the amount of problems and service we have had to perform: an oil consumption issue that according to GM is normal (1.5 quarts every 3k miles), bad wheels sensors, remote start problem, alternator, a window switch and finally- an issue that began about a year ago that seems to be occurring more frequently lately.

The transmission shift lever on the column will sometimes lock, not allowing to move from PARK, as if I don't have my foot on the brake petal, despite having my foot on it. Then, after lifting my foot off the petal and back down again it, and wiggling the lever a bit, it will allow me to shift. Simultaneously the "service stabilitrac" and "service traction control" warning lights appear until I turn the car off again and it sits for 5 minutes. The first time it happened it went many months without issue, then it happened 3-4 more times about 3 months ago. Until recently I had just assumed it was due to me shifting the vehicle into drive too quickly after starting the vehicle. Within the past two weeks however it has happened 10-12 times, including three times today. I am now concerned since each time this happens the lever remains locked and we cannot put the car into drive.

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dlktahoe,

I am glad to hear that you got your vehicle fixed. If the throttle body falters again, please let me know.

Thank you

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

GM Truck Man,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues. Did your dealership give you a diagnosis for your Service Stabilitrac and Service Traction Control light issues?

Thank you

dlktahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Elizabeth,

My 2009 is now out of warranty. We have been GM loyal as my husband and his father were employed by GM for many years. This vehicle is the nicest, most expensive purchase we have yet to make...and I am beginning to question it. We had to pay for the service on the throttle body, the back chevy badge is falling off, and after a hard rain on friday, the door apparently filled with water due to a questionable weld/seal. I do love the vehicle but the problems are adding up. You spend the money on an american made SUV because that is what you want...but when it starts having problem after problem...you question whether or not the money spent was smart.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dlktahoe,
I do now that the doors do have a drain hole that any water should be coming out of. It could just be plugged up. However, I would like to look into this for you. Could you please send me your full contact information including your VIN and current mileage?

Thank you

Sneffels

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Elizabeth,

Wish it were that easy. This problem is totally intermittent. For example, yesterday I drove 50 miles round trip to the airport with no event. The day before, on a short trip of about 6 miles, I got the gong and "stabilitrak off" and "service stabilitrak" messages 3 times. It goes sometimes weeks without incident. It's totally random.

One thing I have noticed - it always happens when the vehicle is coasting or slowing down. It never happens during acceleration.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sneffels,

I completely understand and I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. The only other thing I could suggest right now is that you have someone from the service department at your local dealership take a ride with you and see if the issue arises. You could coast or slow down while driving to see if it shows up.

Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus