Want an OBD scanner, recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I typically give good ratings to my obdlink mx+. However, a recent firmware update has ruined it. I can use it to connect to cars through outdated Torque app. But using the OBDLink app crashes my phone. They are aware and are working on a fix. But come on, did they not try a beta version of the update and see that it is an IMMEDIATE crash of all hardware?
Android or Apple?

justirv

Reaction score
Bidirectional? Or just one to check codes / read?

I have a generic Bluetooth dongle to read codes. You plug it into the diagnostic port and connect with phone. I use Torque Lite as a scan tool. Works like a champ, fits in the glove box. I only wish there was an option for one to build into the dash.

For bidirectional stuff I'm cheap. I a generic VCX Nano cause it came with Tech 2 Win. I also have HP Tuners adapter and VCM scanner (software). Not sure if you need a license to scan.

Lastly, you can do bidirectional with these, or just use them as a scanner. If tech 2 hadn't come with the VCX Nano I'd have bought one of these...

I beleive you only need HP Tuner credits/licenses if you want to upload programming changes. I have used mine (with VCM scanner) to scan/read a variety of cars and mfg's. I also have a Tech 2 clone that I'm happy with to activate various functions (ABS, Transmission reset, etc.) on my GMT800 Tahoe.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BlueDriver with Apple product is what I've used for a couple years...

Bill

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think of the difficulty of confirming/testing two-way functionality (outside of the official OBD II 10 functions) across years and models. I read somewhere that the programmers can get the specifics needed using the right-to-repair law. I'm trying to return my Kingbolen and go back to the Foxwell NT510E or upgrade to a NT710. I had an online chat with Innova and they said the coverage for my 2006 Tahoe is not very good because it is an older car. Also, the ICON T8 is a Launch model of some sort. Launch, Kingbolen and ThinkCar appear to be the same company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1