Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What speakers? A component set with the separate woofer, crossover and tweeter?

The Bose amp already crosses over frequencies for each speaker. I'd connect the tweeter to the factory wires as-is. A component set is mostly a waste since the frequencies have already been modified for the particular speaker they're going to. So, you can't run the wires feeding the door speaker into the crossover then out to each of their respective tweeters as you would with a "traditional" setup where a full range signal is sent to the doors.

If anything, maybe add a "bass blocker" capacitor, like what Wes just mentioned. They have them that are designed to be connected to the wires going to the speaker/tweeter.
These are the ones I got and they are component in the front.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the ones I got and they are component in the front.

you might have a tough time running the crossover wire up to the tweeter, I believe there is a block connector on the inside of the body behind the rubber boot.
so I wouod mount the tweeters on the triangle plastic cover where the mirror access bolts are like I did on my silverado, then it makes it super easy
mirrr.JPG

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might have a tough time running the crossover wire up to the tweeter, I believe there is a block connector on the inside of the body behind the rubber boot.
so I wouod mount the tweeters on the triangle plastic cover where the mirror access bolts are like I did on my silverado, then it makes it super easy
View attachment 416707
That's an awesome look!

I just bought a base blocker and planning to tuck it into the a-pillar, but that looks great! You running kappa's as well?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an awesome look!

I just bought a base blocker and planning to tuck it into the a-pillar, but that looks great! You running kappa's as well?
yes, but I need to upgrade the door speakers I have been running too much power to them so they are about done, tweeters seem to be able to handle it fine

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was not very scientific, so take it with a grain of salt. But when checking the dB levels at each of the front doors - driver's side deadened (72-74 dB) and the passenger side as from the factory (77-78 dB) there seemed to be a 4-5 dB difference when on the freeway at 75 mph.

We checked one point consistently right above the cup holder.

20231217_173106.jpg

I'm a little surprised it was that much difference....like really surprised - it seems like a lot. It will be interesting when we finish deadening the passenger door and see if we get a similarly reduced reading.

The middle of the vehicle above the center console was around 70 dB.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was not very scientific, so take it with a grain of salt. But when checking the dB levels at each of the front doors - driver's side deadened (72-74 dB) and the passenger side as from the factory (77-78 dB) there seemed to be a 4-5 dB difference when on the freeway at 75 mph.

We checked one point consistently right above the cup holder.

View attachment 416747

I'm a little surprised it was that much difference....like really surprised - it seems like a lot. It will be interesting when we finish deadening the passenger door and see if we get a similarly reduced reading.

The middle of the vehicle above the center console was around 70 dB.

-10dB is perceived by the human ear as half as loud. 45% of that is significant.

There are free phone apps for measuring dB. I use Decibel X. I can't say how accurate they are compared to actual test equipment. But for comparison, they should be fine. I'd like to know how an app compares to your device.

I like the metallic sheen on your nails. Gonna get 'em redone after you finish your sound upgrades?

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-10dB is perceived by the human ear as half as loud. 45% of that is significant.

There are free phone apps for measuring dB. I use Decibel X. I can't say how accurate they are compared to actual test equipment. But for comparison, they should be fine. I'd like to know how an app compares to your device.

I like the metallic sheen on your nails. Gonna get 'em redone after you finish your sound upgrades?
Yeah, I'm really surprised there's that much difference between the doors. I'm not putting much into this since I didn't have a before reading, but if I see the drop on the passenger side when we're done, then we can have a little validation.

I'll download decibelX and compare to my device and come back to you on it.

Ha! I'll let me wife know that she's been slacking on the nails and it's all over the Internet now! She's been helping me with the sound deadening!

I'm using a combination of two different layers of deadening material and strategically locating some acoustic panels (which I believe make a significant difference even just in my head).

I also pulled the overhead console and did some sound deadening above the headliner in a similar manner as a first step in hopes of getting the bluetooth mic to pickup my voice better.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really surprised there's that much difference between the doors. I'm not putting much into this since I didn't have a before reading, but if I see the drop on the passenger side when we're done, then we can have a little validation.

I'll download decibelX and compare to my device and come back to you on it.

Ha! I'll let me wife know that she's been slacking on the nails and it's all over the Internet now! She's been helping me with the sound deadening!

I'm using a combination of two different layers of deadening material and strategically locating some acoustic panels (which I believe make a significant difference even just in my head).

I also pulled the overhead console and did some sound deadening above the headliner in a similar manner as a first step in hopes of getting the bluetooth mic to pickup my voice better.

The thing is, you're not gonna make anything worse by adding it. The roof and firewall (or more of forward floorboard and the wheel arches) are other hotspots for sound. When I pull my headliner to dye it, I'll insulate the roof.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is, you're not gonna make anything worse by adding it. The roof and firewall (or more of forward floorboard and the wheel arches) are other hotspots for sound. When I pull my headliner to dye it, I'll insulate the roof.
Yes, those are some of my next targets. When I was working on the cabin air filter, I pulled up some of the carpet up front and saw the wheel wells right there - I'll definitely be getting those and the floors up front since it's easy - trying to think through the firewall still and where access can be easy.

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 416707
@Doubeleive
Do you have the 10 speaker system with the center channel? What speaker did you use there and in the d-pillar?