Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on my cabin air filter now...but when looking up at the evaporator - what's the best way to clean this up? I saw there are sprays. I was thinking about using a brush. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 416485

View attachment 416486
I’m a hvac contractor, they make a no rinse evaporator coil spray. IMO they don’t work that well. The gains won’t be proportional to the amount of mess it’ll make. The also make coil combs but those are for copper aluminum radiators, you’d almost be better off blowing it out with compressed air with a long blowgun attachment or a skinny shop vac brush attachment

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to go down this rabbit hole over the next couple of weeks and do some overkill with it because I'm a little curious and interested. My brother used to do a bunch with acoustics, so I'm going to give it a go.

I agree that it's pretty quiet in the Denali. I don't have much in expectations going in, but I'll see what's there already. The one thing I will say though is that when I'm in the Denali and using my bluetooth headset (vs the in truck mic), it picks up enough wind noise that it's ANC distorts my voice so that people on the other side cannot clearly understand me. When I'm in my wife's Acura, I don't have this issue. I'm sure it's nothing and I'll make little progress here, but if sounds like a fun project.

Are there better mics than the stock mic when using bluetooth in the Yukon? Even that one sounds terrible on the other side.

Are phone app dB apps accurate enough to do a before and after?
If yours has the bose ANC (active noise control) then you can disable it and that will give you some increased output, the ANC function criples the system a bit because it is always creating anti-sound. could also be part of why your bluetooth sounds funky.
you will know if you have ANC or not by simply looking up from the drivers seat, in the headliner there will be 2 little speaker looking grills and 1 on the passenger side. non anc will only have 1 grill above the drivers head (environmental sensor)
I just cut the wires on mine because it was the easiest way to do it without messing with the headliner. easily reversible if need be down the road

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours has the bose ANC (active noise control) then you can disable it and that will give you some increased output, the ANC function criples the system a bit because it is always creating anti-sound. could also be part of why your bluetooth sounds funky.
you will know if you have ANC or not by simply looking up from the drivers seat, in the headliner there will be 2 little speaker looking grills and 1 on the passenger side. non anc will only have 1 grill above the drivers head (environmental sensor)
I just cut the wires on mine because it was the easiest way to do it without messing with the headliner. easily reversible if need be down the road
That’s interesting…I always wondered what that second grill was next to the mic and the one on the passenger side. My android head unit has an option to disable it in the settings, I’ve never noticed any difference with it on or off. This single threads literally hit on nearly every thread category in the 2007-2014 section of the forum

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting…I always wondered what that second grill was next to the mic and the one on the passenger side. My android head unit has an option to disable it in the settings, I’ve never noticed any difference with it on or off. This single threads literally hit on nearly every thread category in the 2007-2014 section of the forum
I will take a look at this - I actually have 5 of these grills in the truck - 2 at driver (assuming one is the mic or environment?), 1 at passenger, 1 at 2nd row, 1 at 3rd row.

I'm going to play around with this a little bit - add some sound deadening and see if any improvement, and then likely go into each grill and unplug the ANC one by one until I get it right.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will take a look at this - I actually have 5 of these grills in the truck - 2 at driver (assuming one is the mic or environment?), 1 at passenger, 1 at 2nd row, 1 at 3rd row.

I'm going to play around with this a little bit - add some sound deadening and see if any improvement, and then likely go into each grill and unplug the ANC one by one until I get it right.
there are 2 mic's in the headliner 1 drivers side 1 passenger side, not sure where the 3rd mic is (likley somewhere in the dash), the rest are environmental sensors for the hvac even that one in your 3rd row drivers side? (long story) but I had some hvac issue's before and my ac control was looking for that ghost 3rd enviro sensor because mine doesn't have the 3rd sensor

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your android is really disabling it or not, the bose system is digital. even with the maestro rr messing with it is tricky.
does your android head unit have dsp settings? does it support bose fade?

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are 2 mic's in the headliner 1 drivers side 1 passenger side, not sure where the 3rd mic is (likley somewhere in the dash), the rest are environmental sensors for the hvac even that one in your 3rd row drivers side? (long story) but I had some hvac issue's before and my ac control was looking for that ghost 3rd enviro sensor because mine doesn't have the 3rd sensor
Are all of these mics ANC? Where is the mic that pics up your voice if you are on a bluetooth call?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are all of these mics ANC? Where is the mic that pics up your voice if you are on a bluetooth call?
bt/onstar mic is in the forward center overhead console where the hatch switch/garage door switch and dome lights are, you will see a small 8-slot spot with a hole in it,, the left one is where the bt mic is

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065