What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my rig back from the fabrication shop since I got wrecked and it was totaled a few months back. Now I'm rocking some new custom front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, and a 9500lb winch!

B2YhbE9.jpg

knnTRzv.jpg

T4HSNNG.jpg

ycioNxa.jpg

fAS0EeI.jpg

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm happy to say that after 8 months of driving around with my spare tire behind the back seat, I finally go around to installing the new tire hoist to replace the factory hoist with the horrible, awful, stupid, idiotic, who the F**K designed this! "secondary latch" mechanism:

Here's the side by side of the old and new. As you can see I had to use an angle grinder to cut one end off the "bell" holding the tire in place because no matter what I did I could NOT get the secondary latch to release:

tirehoist3_zpspxy1joxl.jpg

Another side x side photo. The replacement part was bought off of Amazon.com. Cost was around $109. I know I could have gotten one from a junkyard for less but I wanted something brand new.

tirehoist4_zpsttts5ykh.jpg

and here she is with the spare all snug and in place! I don't know what I'm going to do with all that space now. Oh, wait, camping season is over so my 3rd row will go back in. :(

tirehoist2_zpspvbgxyc8.jpg

Now I just have the old hoist w/secondary latch left over. Hmm, should I just chuck it in the trash, or should I find a blast furnace so I can consign it to the fiery pits of HELL from whence it came? :mad:

tirehoist1_zpsvdukjwhh.jpg

BTW if anyone is thinking of replacing this part, let me just say it's stupid easy. Basically I had to use a long handled screwdriver to remove the plastic tube (that "guides" the jack handle into the hoist) and slide it towards the rear, and once that's out of the way it's literally ONE 15mm bolt, pull it out, put the new one in, bolt it in place and snap the tube back on.

Took me like 20 minutes and most of that time was me trying to figure out how to slide that tube out of the way so I could get to the bolt. Once I had that it was less than 5 minutes.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my rig back from the fabrication shop since I got wrecked and it was totaled a few months back. Now I'm rocking some new custom front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, and a 9500lb winch!

B2YhbE9.jpg

knnTRzv.jpg

T4HSNNG.jpg

ycioNxa.jpg

fAS0EeI.jpg
That thing screams " get the **** out if the way!" Love it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well I'm happy to say that after 8 months of driving around with my spare tire behind the back seat, I finally go around to installing the new tire hoist to replace the factory hoist with the horrible, awful, stupid, idiotic, who the F**K designed this! "secondary latch" mechanism:

Here's the side by side of the old and new. As you can see I had to use an angle grinder to cut one end off the "bell" holding the tire in place because no matter what I did I could NOT get the secondary latch to release:

Another side x side photo. The replacement part was bought off of Amazon.com. Cost was around $109. I know I could have gotten one from a junkyard for less but I wanted something brand new.

and here she is with the spare all snug and in place! I don't know what I'm going to do with all that space now. Oh, wait, camping season is over so my 3rd row will go back in. :(

Now I just have the old hoist w/secondary latch left over. Hmm, should I just chuck it in the trash, or should I find a blast furnace so I can consign it to the fiery pits of HELL from whence it came? :mad:

BTW if anyone is thinking of replacing this part, let me just say it's stupid easy. Basically I had to use a long handled screwdriver to remove the plastic tube (that "guides" the jack handle into the hoist) and slide it towards the rear, and once that's out of the way it's literally ONE 15mm bolt, pull it out, put the new one in, bolt it in place and snap the tube back on.

Took me like 20 minutes and most of that time was me trying to figure out how to slide that tube out of the way so I could get to the bolt. Once I had that it was less than 5 minutes.
Brother, I think everyone here, including myself , shares your pain and frustration about that ************* spare tire hoist. I say toss that ***** into a fiery furnace from he'll whence it came !! :flame::biggun:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is the secondary latch you're talking about? I'm thinking mine doesn't have one.

OhFourChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

B2YhbE9.jpg

knnTRzv.jpg

T4HSNNG.jpg

ycioNxa.jpg

fAS0EeI.jpg
Did you have the rock sliders mount to the body mounts or did you weld straight to the frame?

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have the rock sliders mount to the body mounts or did you weld straight to the frame?
Welded and gusseted to the frame. That's the only wait they can actually impact and support the whole weight of the vehicle and not bend.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I don't think there should be that much suction there but I'm no expert. And did you say you have suction from both directions? That can't be right either. You might read the thread on catch cans and post a question there. I still say something's not right. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/get-a-catch-can-before-any-mods.49716/page-45#post-1015612
I'm only getting suction coming from the upper manifold, not from the pcv end . I'm going on a 250 mile round trip tomorrow , so hopefully it'll be smooth sailing .

OhFourChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welded and gusseted to the frame. That's the only wait they can actually impact and support the whole weight of the vehicle and not bend.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Are you worried about the heat transfer weakening the frame though?
That's the only thing that's kept me from doing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925