What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have my regrets though... Maybe somebody can answer this. The airbox has foam to seal the recirculation door, vents, where pieces mate together. Mine was falling apart. I thought it would be fine so I put it all back together. That foam is now falling apart and into my air exchanger, making a real racket. Any idea where I can buy new foam for those spots? I have to tear my dash back down and redo this stuff :(
I'd look at Home Depot for that sealing foam. I heard it works well for stuff like this.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tore down my dash :) Interestingly was VERY easy! Just a little nerve wracking I might brake some of the plastic bits on my first attempt. Thankfully you get a lot of screws and less clips in the dash so not too much worry about that.

The one you are mentioning... You may have to remove the dash cover (top) and skin. The only other way would be through the glove box like you are trying.

The recirculation actuator is up there too. I'd replace it as well when you are in there, as well as replace foam tape that forms seals between vents, etc (I mention this towards end).

Here's a rough overview:

1. Remove instrument bezel trim (snaps on w/ clips)
2. Remove junction block covers between doors and dash
3. Remove the 4 screws behind those junction block covers
4. Remove the handle grip by passenger glove box (there's clips next to air ducts that release it and it pulls out).
5. Remove 7mm screws (8mm?) holding front of dash cover on.
6. Remove stereo - gives access with hand if small enough to disconnect headlight sensor at front middle of dash cover. Otherwise you can disconnect it when you CAREFULLY pull back dash cover.
7. I think that's about it to remove the dash cover. It should be loose. However, VERY CAREFULLY pull back and wiggle as there's clips which hold dash down under windshield. They brake VERY easily so mind them carefully.

At this point you can see all the little electronics above instrument cluster. They look daunting, however, they come off easily and only can go back in one way.

1. Remove the electronics and brackets above instrument cluster.
2. You may have to remove air bag and OnStar computer on passenger side as well. I don't quite recall. BEFORE TOUCHING AIRBAG, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY AND REMOVE THE FUSE. SOUNDS REDUNDANT BUT A SCREWDRIVER THROUGH THE HEAD IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO AVOID. I HATE WORKING AROUND AIRBAGS THEY SCARE ME TO DEATH.
3. Unscrew the vents. They slide right up and off! There's a handful of bolts / screws holding them on.

This is most of what I recall. There maybe a few points I missed but short story, it's a lot of parts but all pretty logically put together. At this point you should be able to see that actuator and easily remove it.

This all sounds REALLY daunting! However, the first time I did it I was amazed at how easy it was (hardest part is unclipping dash cover from under windshield). Take your time, don't force anything and you'll be fine. Also there's only a couple types of fasteners, one type for cover, 4 Philips screws on ends... Then there are clips for bottom knee bolsters but I don't think you'll need to take those off. In short, it looks more complicated that it is.

Wish I was there we'd have it off in a few minutes ;)

Whoever designed this dash was a genius! It's one of the easiest ones I've taken apart before. And it's mostly screws so goes back together as well as it came apart (if not better).

I pulled a few apart at the junkyard to get pieces out now. I can do it in a matter of minutes now.

I have my regrets though... Maybe somebody can answer this. The airbox has foam to seal the recirculation door, vents, where pieces mate together. Mine was falling apart. I thought it would be fine so I put it all back together. That foam is now falling apart and into my air exchanger, making a real racket. Any idea where I can buy new foam for those spots? I have to tear my dash back down and redo this stuff :(
Forgot to mention that the a pillar covers have to come off as well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that the a pillar covers have to come off as well!!

good catch haha. Most of what I could remeber. Was really scared to tear it down when I did it. There were no guides on taking apart the dash. However was pretty straight forward when I did it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to remove mine the second or third time I removed the dash pad and ended up cracking it. Found another one from an earlier model. Now my light sensor doesn’t fit in it’s place. Either I’m going to have to find a good one from a newer model, deal with it, or try to drill that hole slightly larger. Haven’t decided as of yet. Trying to enjoy not having a cracked dash pad for awhile!

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to remove mine the second or third time I removed the dash pad and ended up cracking it. Found another one from an earlier model. Now my light sensor doesn’t fit in it’s place. Either I’m going to have to find a good one from a newer model, deal with it, or try to drill that hole slightly larger. Haven’t decided as of yet. Trying to enjoy not having a cracked dash pad for awhile!

funny you mention the light sensor. i have exact same problem afterrl replacing the dash cover. has drove me nuts.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things I’ve done over the past week or three in random order. Or more appropriate, as I try remember it all! (Too much drinking isn’t a good thing!)

HEADLINER...

Took off my headliner to have it fixed “professionally” because I’ve not done one before and I wouldn’t even know where to find the material.

So, while it was out, I wanted to change its color. Wanted to get the same color as a the rear door panels of my truck. He said he wasn’t able to find it, so he got me grey and black. The grey he had was going to introduce yet another color inside, so I chose black. Would make it harder to see stains but the accent parts painted would let them stand out nicely!!

Got it back and went to install it. Wasn’t until after I went to install the second half that I noticed that it’s 2 different blacks. So much for a professional job. Lesson learned. Next time I’ll try to find the material and attempt to do it myself!

Headliner removed

d33581262721e528489b7f7165632add.jpg

Headliner picked up

58f47e289d753d04ac9c2aa5c67a66a7.jpg

Headliner reinstalled

44f114592f0025706ab90a1d496e1972.jpg

FRONT SEAT...

After I had finished laying down the sound deadener, I was having some trouble with passenger seat moving like it was supposed to.
Tried to rest it back thinking I somehow put it in wrong. Then I thought about the problem a little more and figured out that wasn’t the that the track was off, but maybe one of the motors wasn’t working right? When you push the button, it made noise and moved, so can’t be that. Ended up being that one side of forward/reverse motor wasn’t all the way in. Fixed that, moved the seat all the way back and unplugged it so no one else could move it.

FRONT AC...

Also, I went to salvage yard looking for the recently replaced dash pad. (Happy and sad at same time.) While I was there, found what I thought was a working air conditioner.

But I didn’t really bring the needed tools to remove it. I was lucky to have what I had with me, as I was originally only looking for the dash pad.

Got all of the front ac out, lines and condenser included.(Sorry, didn’t get any pics from the yard.) The accumulator I purchased new from parts store.

Got it all reinstalled, changed the seals, added new oil, and vacuumed it. (Again, no pics, but that’s because I was drinking while working!)

No leaks found in system, so proceeded to add Freon. That’s when I noticed that the ac clutch wasn’t turning on this compressor either. (I had just assumed the compressor had died. (Next time, I’ll have to check better first!)

Found out it’s the ac relay. Had to rig it up so it works, so not sure if it’s blown, but I got it to turn on. Then that’s when I found two more problems.

First, since the relay is rigged, the compressor doesn’t cycle on and off like it should so the line freezes. Second problem I found is that the rear ac isn’t working either.

So, off to the parts store. Purchased new expansion valve for rear, new orifice tube for front, and new relay for ac. Will hopefully try to get it all reinstalled before Thursday and if not, at least during the week of Thanksgiving.

And apparently, thought I took pics of those items, but I guess not.

HEADLIGHTS RETRO-FITTED...

Retro-fitted my headlights! Wow, that was easier than I had thought. Maybe was the whole part about having to place in the oven that had me second guessing myself?

Now I just need to figure out how to aim them correctly. I can do up and down, but is there anyway to adjust left and right? (Again, sorry guys no pics. I tend to forget sometimes while drinking and working, to use camera to take pics!)

NNBS BRAKE UPGRADE...

Started to clean up my calipers for NNBS bigger brake upgrade. Rotors and new front and rear brake pads are on standby. Just now remembered that I didn’t order new rear rotors!
I did order a kit to rebuild them. Thinking pistons are stuck. If nothing else, I’ll change out the seals. New bleeder screws and mounting hardware and bolts have been purchased.

And yet again, no pics! I’ve got to do better on that! I’ll try to post pics of some of the things that haven’t been installed yet.

Enough typing for now. I’ve just about reached my drinking limit and I’m feeling tired! Time for shower, one last drink, and off to bed...

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Things I’ve done over the past week or three in random order. Or more appropriate, as I try remember it all! (Too much drinking isn’t a good thing!)

HEADLINER...

Took off my headliner to have it fixed “professionally” because I’ve not done one before and I wouldn’t even know where to find the material.

So, while it was out, I wanted to change its color. Wanted to get the same color as a the rear door panels of my truck. He said he wasn’t able to find it, so he got me grey and black. The grey he had was going to introduce yet another color inside, so I chose black. Would make it harder to see stains but the accent parts painted would let them stand out nicely!!

Got it back and went to install it. Wasn’t until after I went to install the second half that I noticed that it’s 2 different blacks. So much for a professional job. Lesson learned. Next time I’ll try to find the material and attempt to do it myself!

Headliner removed

d33581262721e528489b7f7165632add.jpg

Headliner picked up

58f47e289d753d04ac9c2aa5c67a66a7.jpg

Headliner reinstalled

44f114592f0025706ab90a1d496e1972.jpg

FRONT SEAT...

After I had finished laying down the sound deadener, I was having some trouble with passenger seat moving like it was supposed to.
Tried to rest it back thinking I somehow put it in wrong. Then I thought about the problem a little more and figured out that wasn’t the that the track was off, but maybe one of the motors wasn’t working right? When you push the button, it made noise and moved, so can’t be that. Ended up being that one side of forward/reverse motor wasn’t all the way in. Fixed that, moved the seat all the way back and unplugged it so no one else could move it.

FRONT AC...

Also, I went to salvage yard looking for the recently replaced dash pad. (Happy and sad at same time.) While I was there, found what I thought was a working air conditioner.

But I didn’t really bring the needed tools to remove it. I was lucky to have what I had with me, as I was originally only looking for the dash pad.

Got all of the front ac out, lines and condenser included.(Sorry, didn’t get any pics from the yard.) The accumulator I purchased new from parts store.

Got it all reinstalled, changed the seals, added new oil, and vacuumed it. (Again, no pics, but that’s because I was drinking while working!)

No leaks found in system, so proceeded to add Freon. That’s when I noticed that the ac clutch wasn’t turning on this compressor either. (I had just assumed the compressor had died. (Next time, I’ll have to check better first!)

Found out it’s the ac relay. Had to rig it up so it works, so not sure if it’s blown, but I got it to turn on. Then that’s when I found two more problems.

First, since the relay is rigged, the compressor doesn’t cycle on and off like it should so the line freezes. Second problem I found is that the rear ac isn’t working either.

So, off to the parts store. Purchased new expansion valve for rear, new orifice tube for front, and new relay for ac. Will hopefully try to get it all reinstalled before Thursday and if not, at least during the week of Thanksgiving.

And apparently, thought I took pics of those items, but I guess not.

HEADLIGHTS RETRO-FITTED...

Retro-fitted my headlights! Wow, that was easier than I had thought. Maybe was the whole part about having to place in the oven that had me second guessing myself?

Now I just need to figure out how to aim them correctly. I can do up and down, but is there anyway to adjust left and right? (Again, sorry guys no pics. I tend to forget sometimes while drinking and working, to use camera to take pics!)

NNBS BRAKE UPGRADE...

Started to clean up my calipers for NNBS bigger brake upgrade. Rotors and new front and rear brake pads are on standby. Just now remembered that I didn’t order new rear rotors!
I did order a kit to rebuild them. Thinking pistons are stuck. If nothing else, I’ll change out the seals. New bleeder screws and mounting hardware and bolts have been purchased.

And yet again, no pics! I’ve got to do better on that! I’ll try to post pics of some of the things that haven’t been installed yet.

Enough typing for now. I’ve just about reached my drinking limit and I’m feeling tired! Time for shower, one last drink, and off to bed...

Why not just bring the headliner back to the guy to fix his mistake?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, took the airbag out. Still didn't see how it would be possible....I could get one of those pass-thru ratchets and get the screws out, but I don't think I'd ever be able to get them started after replacing the actuator. Decided to pull the dash. Top pad is off right now. Going to work on the rest this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjbtn1036