What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just paint with Krylon Fusion flat black. I have painted all my black plastics with it and it still looks awesome years later. Clean with soap and water and then denatured alcohol.
I've done the same. Think I used satin?

This was years ago...
Upper bumper cover is painted lower step pad is clean, but very faded. Night and day difference.

IMAG1312.jpg IMAG1310.jpg IMAG1303.jpg IMAG1302.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you’re looking at the correct part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(1) Mode Door
(2) Recirculation Actuator
(3) Recirculation door
(4) Air Temperature Actuator - Right
(5) HVAC Module Assembly
(6) Mode Actuator
HVAC_TOP.gif

What I'm looking at on my truck, with the glove box dropped:
IMG_20201102_131335.jpg
IMG_20201102_131345.jpg
IMG_20201102_134521.jpg

There's no way I can get my scrawny arm/hand up around that stuff to even touch it. Still watching videos...one person removed the air bag only and was able to get to it.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool!! I like the results on that krylon fusion. So just to be clear. Soap and water to degrease and just paint?? No primer or adhesion promotor??? I just hate to see paint peeling or bubbling but I csn deal with a good washing and degreasing.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

(1) Mode Door
(3) Recirculation door
(5) HVAC Module Assembly
(6) Mode Actuator
View attachment 261531

View attachment 261532
View attachment 261533
View attachment 261535

There's no way I can get my scrawny arm/hand up around that stuff to even touch it. Still watching videos...one person removed the air bag only and was able to get to it.
That one does look to be in a very awkward position. Hopefully someone who has done it before will chime in with some helpful advice

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

(1) Mode Door
(3) Recirculation door
(5) HVAC Module Assembly
(6) Mode Actuator
View attachment 261531

View attachment 261532
View attachment 261533
View attachment 261535

that might have been my video I did one for the gmt900's which is pretty much the same procedure, lift the airbag out and you can get to it. 4 10mm bolts and it will come out, 2 are under behind the glove box then 2 more in behind the left & right vents, the vents just pull straight out. here is a video of how to remove the airbag

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one does look to be in a very awkward position. Hopefully someone who has done it before will chime in with some helpful advice

I tore down my dash :) Interestingly was VERY easy! Just a little nerve wracking I might brake some of the plastic bits on my first attempt. Thankfully you get a lot of screws and less clips in the dash so not too much worry about that.

The one you are mentioning... You may have to remove the dash cover (top) and skin. The only other way would be through the glove box like you are trying.

The recirculation actuator is up there too. I'd replace it as well when you are in there, as well as replace foam tape that forms seals between vents, etc (I mention this towards end).

Here's a rough overview:

1. Remove instrument bezel trim (snaps on w/ clips)
2. Remove junction block covers between doors and dash
3. Remove the 4 screws behind those junction block covers
4. Remove the handle grip by passenger glove box (there's clips next to air ducts that release it and it pulls out).
5. Remove 7mm screws (8mm?) holding front of dash cover on.
6. Remove stereo - gives access with hand if small enough to disconnect headlight sensor at front middle of dash cover. Otherwise you can disconnect it when you CAREFULLY pull back dash cover.
7. I think that's about it to remove the dash cover. It should be loose. However, VERY CAREFULLY pull back and wiggle as there's clips which hold dash down under windshield. They brake VERY easily so mind them carefully.

At this point you can see all the little electronics above instrument cluster. They look daunting, however, they come off easily and only can go back in one way.

1. Remove the electronics and brackets above instrument cluster.
2. You may have to remove air bag and OnStar computer on passenger side as well. I don't quite recall. BEFORE TOUCHING AIRBAG, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY AND REMOVE THE FUSE. SOUNDS REDUNDANT BUT A SCREWDRIVER THROUGH THE HEAD IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO AVOID. I HATE WORKING AROUND AIRBAGS THEY SCARE ME TO DEATH.
3. Unscrew the vents. They slide right up and off! There's a handful of bolts / screws holding them on.

This is most of what I recall. There maybe a few points I missed but short story, it's a lot of parts but all pretty logically put together. At this point you should be able to see that actuator and easily remove it.

This all sounds REALLY daunting! However, the first time I did it I was amazed at how easy it was (hardest part is unclipping dash cover from under windshield). Take your time, don't force anything and you'll be fine. Also there's only a couple types of fasteners, one type for cover, 4 Philips screws on ends... Then there are clips for bottom knee bolsters but I don't think you'll need to take those off. In short, it looks more complicated that it is.

Wish I was there we'd have it off in a few minutes ;)

Whoever designed this dash was a genius! It's one of the easiest ones I've taken apart before. And it's mostly screws so goes back together as well as it came apart (if not better).

I pulled a few apart at the junkyard to get pieces out now. I can do it in a matter of minutes now.

I have my regrets though... Maybe somebody can answer this. The airbox has foam to seal the recirculation door, vents, where pieces mate together. Mine was falling apart. I thought it would be fine so I put it all back together. That foam is now falling apart and into my air exchanger, making a real racket. Any idea where I can buy new foam for those spots? I have to tear my dash back down and redo this stuff :(

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that might have been my video I did one for the gmt900's which is pretty much the same procedure, lift the airbag out and you can get to it. 4 10mm bolts and it will come out, 2 are under behind the glove box then 2 more in behind the left & right vents, the vents just pull straight out. here is a video of how to remove the airbag

OMG did that take some wizardry? That's a great way to do it, I never even thought of that. However... I'd imagine my hands would be bloody scratched up stubs after I tried to change it like that, fishing between the vents, dash cover, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjbtn1036