What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my oil analysis via email a few minutes ago, and unfortunately lead content has spiked based on historical data. Despite me having done quite a few repairs and maintenance myself, I know next to nothing about how to rebuild a motor. What are my next steps? Keep driving it and don't worry about it, or start thinking about having the motor rebuilt?

Added anything new or replaced anything that engine oil would contact?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added anything new or replaced anything that engine oil would contact?
In May of 2021 I replaced the oil pressure sender (at 227k miles) but I doubt that would be the culprit since I've changed the oil several times since then. I did make a ~1,900 total mile road trip to southern CO and back the last week of June, I wonder if running the motor that hard that long might have had something to do with it. I changed the oil when I got home and sent it off to Blackstone which is what I posted above.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my oil analysis via email a few minutes ago, and unfortunately lead content has spiked based on historical data. Despite me having done quite a few repairs and maintenance myself, I know next to nothing about how to rebuild a motor. What are my next steps? Keep driving it and don't worry about it, or start thinking about having the motor rebuilt?
Do both. Keep driving it and start an engine fund with the hope its fully funded before its needed. Have you noticed any difference in driveability?

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy, just YouTube it
5-10 min job
Ok, I got my got my blower motor resistor annd harness and will proactively replace the 22-y/o set on my Yukon. Should I change out the blower motor too? Mine seems noisy (loud air, not loud mechanical) but I can’t remember how it’s supposed to sound.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Monday I changed the oil in the ole Burban. Gave her a full belly of 6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Wix filter. I bought out Tractor Supply last month when they had a bunch of oil on clearance. I have enough oil for the next two years or so, enough for both my truck and the wife's Traverse. I have enough Pennzoil for 2 more oil changes, and Castrol for 5 more oil changes. A total of NINE oil changes for just barely $100. Plus I ordered about $70 worth of Wix filters from Rockauto to go with it. My wife says I'm a hoarder, i say I'm just being frugal. Lol!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230602-185316~2.png
    Screenshot_20230602-185316~2.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230602-185329~2.png
    Screenshot_20230602-185329~2.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 6

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do both. Keep driving it and start an engine fund with the hope its fully funded before its needed. Have you noticed any difference in driveability?
I just went thru the same thing. I kept getting more and more traces of potassium in my oil, which is only possible if coolant is getting in. I check all my bases, looked for any possible cases (like Castech heads for instance) but I couldn't find ANY coolant leaks. So I just kept driving it and regularly changing the oil. I got another 4 years, and almost 40k miles out of it from the first reported instance of traces of coolant in my oil. If I had babied it, I probably could have gotten far more life out it. But I drive it live I stole it, and it bit me in the ass because I floored it one day then lost all oil pressure. Long story short, I slipped a cam bearing, go figure.
I ended up getting a crate 5.3 engine from O'Reilly auto parts, and had it installed a few months ago. I have almost 5,000 miles on it and not only is it running great, I'm getting a LOT more fuel mileage than I did with the last engine. I would be lucky to get 13mpg before, now I've been consistently seeing 17-18mpg.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no problem other than you'll have a rubber hose passing near the header tube instead of an aluminum tube. If you can route it far enough away, sure. Yes, definitely flare the tube or a leak will be highly probable. Personally, I'd drain the line and solder/"weld" it closed and bend it away from the header.

I need to put a bead in mine but the tools to do it are pricey compared to double clamping it.

*EDIT* Found this: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=31586
This tool is not good for those 1/2 heater lines. It did not slide into the line even after I spit on it and hit it with the sauce. So I did what i should have done Sunday, cut the section of below the ac drier, ran 1/2" gates heater hose and some clamps. Problem solved. I'm just going to use some of the hose clamps I ordered tomorrow to tidy up the routing of the new hose. Probably get some pics up also.

5x10

Reaction score
Ok, I got my got my blower motor resistor annd harness and will proactively replace the 22-y/o set on my Yukon. Should I change out the blower motor too? Mine seems noisy (loud air, not loud mechanical) but I can’t remember how it’s supposed to sound.
It’s weird, when I fixed my resistor, my motor started knocking a little bit. But it still works, so I’ll run it till it dies
i probably need to switch out the blower motor too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3