What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Same color and body as my ‘02. Looks clean. The only difference from the outside is that mine has a chrome grille and a different set of wheels. What’s your current mileage?

Looks clean. What was your total damage and how long do you think it took you to replace them?

I’ll be curious to see how hot those new bulbs get. The old ones look like a fire hazard just waiting to burn out or melt the hvac control.

The old bulb bases look like they're some form of ceramic, or at least a hard material, but some did break apart while I was de-soldering them. There was absolutely no scorching on the circuit board where they mount.

I've not done too many of these dash switches, just a few 4wd and headlight ones, and those bulbs got hot enough to slightly melt the blue filters. At least these weren't that way, and I salvaged the old blue filters for spares.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Convinced daughter (22) to come over by 8am so I could work on her Camaro before the Texas summer heat was too unbearable. I did pads probably 25k ago and they were super noisy, but the worst part was the rotors were really warped. When I went to break the lugs loose, they weren’t very tight at all. Hrm. Last place to touch it was Discount Tire. Remembering back to my LS f-body days, we always thought improper lug torque contributed to the rotors warping easily.

Went with a PowerStop Evolution set of front rotors and pads. All new slide pins, caliper bolts, and caliper bracket bolts. Neighbors out walking gave some looks while we were bedding them in.

Took it by myself to test on the highway where the warped rotors really showed their face. No shimmy! Then took it to get washed and filled up the tank, since she drove us to a concert at Fair Park last week. It needed a vacuum, but I’m spent after doing a few other chores.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll have to share a photo or two of that “oops”. It reminds me of when I was out of town and my wife had some brake work done on her previous car. She kept hearing noises and the brakes were “weak” feeling. I pull the tire off and the stealership forgot to use threadlocker on the caliper bracket bolts and the caliper bolts. Some people might say that it’s not needed on the caliper or the bracket, but this was an obvious case where something was needed.

Have you checked to see if your clunk is a steering issue?

Will grab a few pics when I go to put in the UCA’s. Might just do tie rods and pitman arm, too, since they’re almost 10 years old by now.

It’s not anything ISS or bearing related, unfortunately. Those were also part of aforementioned parts cannon, even did the steering angle sensor. Thanks, though!

Last edited:

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles? 171K miles on my 2001. Added only 6K miles last 2 years. Not a daily driver anymore. Easy duty on the weekends hauling my mountain bike around the trails and making Home Depot runs. Also airport runs when luggage is involved.

Checked the PS fluid this weekend because planning to change it w/ 3X pump and refill method … but oil was pretty clear. I don’t have any records of changing it in last 30K miles so that can’t be right - need to go back thru my paperwork and double check.

Attachments

• 68336901-73E7-4B6F-88CA-9C85183F1C6C.jpeg
    68336901-73E7-4B6F-88CA-9C85183F1C6C.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 5

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will grab a few pics when I go to put in the UCA’s. Might just do tie rods and pitman arm, too, since they’re almost 10 years old by now.

It’s not anything ISS or bearing related, unfortunately. Those were also part of aforementioned parts cannon, even did the steering angle sensor. Thanks, though!
I need to do the same but I’m waiting for a FWB to go bad, that way I have a reason to do the whole front end with the new control arms, shocks and “aforementioned parts cannon”.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles? 171K miles on my 2001. Added only 6K miles last 2 years. Not a daily driver anymore. Easy duty on the weekends hauling my mountain bike around the trails and making Home Depot runs. Also airport runs when luggage is involved.

Checked the PS fluid this weekend because planning to change it w/ 3X pump and refill method … but oil was pretty clear. I don’t have any records of changing it in last 30K miles so that can’t be right - need to go back thru my paperwork and double check.
You should easily be able to get double that out of the engine.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up some Moog inner tie rods and Mevotech TTX outers along with the Dorman steering shaft collar bearing. May install this weekend

Attachments

• 20230801_181645.jpg
    20230801_181645.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 3

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up some Moog inner tie rods and Mevotech TTX outers along with the Dorman steering shaft collar bearing. May install this weekend
Hate to say it, but that Dorman bearing is crap. I went against all the reviews and bought one because it was cheap and prime. Thing fell a part and spilled bearings all over in less than a week. Put OEM in after and been good for 6 years.

Well, maybe they’ve improved the part in those years so I hope it works out. Easy enough to swap if you have to go in a second time though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian