What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are trying to accomplish? there isn't really anything to plug-n-play in place of what you have already, you can adapt things to work but you are going to need to spend some bucks to beat the bose system in sound quality, I am into mine a couple grand and haven't even touched the bose speakers or amp yet, that's all in the headunit and adapters, a pair of subs and a sub amp. changing the speakers to say a component system and a decent multi channel amp is probably another couple grand (just in parts) in order to beat the bose.
If you are going to change speakers I would recommend the infinity kappa series, but there not going to sound good without a good amp to go with them, just changing speakers doesn't accomplish anything because the ohm's are different and the bose amp has built in filters to each channel
Yeah I was disappointed to see it was the bose system because it means more work for me. I was just looking into speaker/amp replacements that would sound better for a reasonable price...sounds like that may not be a reasonable expectation tho, but I'll keep looking

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to discourage you or anyone from upgrading the system but just know it's going to take some doing and some money a LOT in order to make it better, you won't be able to cheap out on it and expect good results not gonna happen, take my word for it I have already been there done that. Adding just a sub and sub amp does wonders and it is easy to do.
Yeah I most assuredly understand the benefits of a good sub to enhance an otherwise mediocre system. I'd have to look into placement options for it and the amp. I'm sure there are many threads on it. Thus isn't like my home system where I can just buy a massive sub and corner load it to appease the wife...

The Lexicon system in my old Genesis was about as good as I've ever heard for a factory rig.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was disappointed to see it was the bose system because it means more work for me. I was just looking into speaker/amp replacements that would sound better for a reasonable price...sounds like that may not be a reasonable expectation tho, but I'll keep looking
I would look into the infinity kappa series, prices will vary from model to model but they are good sounding and good quality speakers and they should last for many years and most of them are not absurdly priced for the most part.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one great thing about living in SC. State law requires everyone carry zero-deductible glass breakage on their car insurance. It's "free", which means it's built into the premium somewhere else, lol. But at least there's no incentive to drive around with a broken windshield.
You’re paying for it lol. It ain’t free. There has never been any extra insurance coverage invented that you don’t pay extra $$ for.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. And even then you'd have to have a way to tune the output of all of the components in such a way that they're optimized for the cabin. I have yet to see a sound system as well-engineered for the space as when a car manufacturer does it right, and GM did a pretty good job with the Bose system on the GMT900. The factory system in my Land Rover is an Alpine, and the one in my old 2014 BMW was a Harmon-Kardon. All three are a quantum leap ahead of any aftermarket system I've ever heard. Even the 28-year-old Bose system in my '94 Acura Legend still sounds amazing. Sometimes I'll crank it loud with Boston's Foreplay/Long Time track and it feels like I'm in the studio.
Exactly. I have the Bose Lux amp in my 02 and use it to run the satellite speakers which I have replaced with better aftermarket ones with the correct ohms, and I’m running a mono sub amp to run a 10” JL sub in a Thunderform enclosure with a Pioneer HU with wireless CarPlay. I consider it a hybrid system. The Bose has an awesome sound stage presence with surround sound effect. It just never had enough bass or control. Now it sounds great.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Ah, the 'ol port & polish

I went light on the polish.
Hard part with this is getting a nice crossbuff that fits in the hole, so i have these little ones that are pretty worn, fit perfectly in there.

I could have done better if i was willing to modify/ruin another tiny one with a coarser grit (green).
but I decided this is good enough.

Just really trying to reduce turbulence in the flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLawrence

Latest posts