What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Replaced the power steering pump and reservoir. Replaced the lines recently, hoping that would end the seeping/leaking, but the cast iron pump body seemed to be magically seeping fluid through its pores.

Old:
View attachment 431158View attachment 431159

New:
View attachment 431160

Ignore the heavy patina on everything else.
My power steering reservoir has looked rusty brown for years. I've been spraying it down with fluid film for the last 3-4 years every oil change. One of the lines looks like it's seeping around the rubber transition and I plan on replacing it. I wonder if I should replace the entire pump/reservoir while I'm at it.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power steering reservoir has looked rusty brown for years. I've been spraying it down with fluid film for the last 3-4 years every oil change. One of the lines looks like it's seeping around the rubber transition and I plan on replacing it. I wonder if I should replace the entire pump/reservoir while I'm at it.

Mine looked terrible for a while, and I only took action to replace it after doing everything else (new clamps, then new lines, then closing my eyes for a while) until it was making a lot of noise and still leaking. If you have the time and $$$, there's really no reason not to do it all at once.

I'll be swapping the accessory bracket with both the alternator and PS pump onto my 6.0 swap (whenever that happens) so it made sense to have all new stuff.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, it's been a busy day...

Oil pump return bracket thing showed up, so that went on. I added a squirt of blue thread-locker, because I couldn't find a 4mm hex-socket to torque the screw down. I guessed, and heard it "click" in my head, so I left it at that. Then the front cover went on, but it gripped the alignment tool a little too well. Luckily I still had a set of these rubber strap wrenches from tightening oddball AR-15 barrel nuts, and that worked. Then the harmonic balancer went on part way with heat, then the rest with the old bolt. Finished it off with 235lb/ft. of ARP goodness.

k9GCnAx.jpggR0oBHh.jpgR5mtpA8.jpg

Literally the only reason I bought a new torque wrench (or two).
QVTgWPl.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apparently my truck doesn't want to act up at the shop were doing plugs and send it............
wtf? I did get it kinda hot coming back out of the mountains over the weekend maybe that was enough to throw it out whack or maybe when i did the crank relearn it corrected something (i did that because it was showing misfires all over), beats me. at least it's not a lifter job at the moment anyway

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apparently my truck doesn't want to act up at the shop were doing plugs and send it............
wtf? I did get it kinda hot coming back out of the mountains over the weekend maybe that was enough to throw it out whack or maybe when i did the crank relearn it corrected something (i did that because it was showing misfires all over), beats me. at least it's not a lifter job at the moment anyway

Did you just throw in 8 new plugs, and call it a day?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never fails

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm as naive about A/C issues as anyone, so no help there....

But, just start tearing the LC9 apart. It's easy to send the block, rotating assembly, and heads to the machine shop to have them inspected. It's either good or it's not, and it's probably good as long as it was never oil-starved. The factory bearings (minus the cam bearings for some reason, per my machinist) are incredibly robust, and the last seven LS engines he's worked over didn't need new main or con-rod bearings. Just slap in some new cam bearings and a set of stock piston rings (he recommended Hastings). Do a little at a time, and in a year you'll have a fresh engine to plop into your car.
Aside from time and space to do it, been slowly getting the funds together too, working some O.T. lately. So I'm getting there.
Already have a BTR camshaft and AFM/DOD delete, ls7 lifters and buckets, ls6 valve springs(I think), pushrods, Whipple s/c kit and I think a few other things like h2 motor mounts, new heater hoses & plastic "y's"...bought a long time ago, stockers have made it to 190,000. Although my brain says get the metal ones and never worry again, probably just use what I have already.

Looking at doing the trunnion bearing upgrade and probably new rockers just because majority of the engine will be fresh already, also would like an ati damper, more shopping to be done.

Unfortunately, I need to source a fuel pump set up that will support e85 with the supercharger...whipple says 91+ octane only...and I hate gas at this point. Go out of my way for Corn despite the mush worse MPG.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velt