What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just throw in 8 new plugs, and call it a day?
yep so far, did another crank relearn afterwards just to cinch it up, now I just gotta drive it and see what happens I will give it some drive cycles and check the data again
see if the cat passes or not. after 10-15 miles it just shows evap and cat need to set. if the cat won't pass I have the file from blackbear to turn the code off.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, it's been a busy day...

Oil pump return bracket thing showed up, so that went on. I added a squirt of blue thread-locker, because I couldn't find a 4mm hex-socket to torque the screw down. I guessed, and heard it "click" in my head, so I left it at that. Then the front cover went on, but it gripped the alignment tool a little too well. Luckily I still had a set of these rubber strap wrenches from tightening oddball AR-15 barrel nuts, and that worked. Then the harmonic balancer went on part way with heat, then the rest with the old bolt. Finished it off with 235lb/ft. of ARP goodness.

View attachment 431163View attachment 431164View attachment 431165

Literally the only reason I bought a new torque wrench (or two).
View attachment 431166

your build makes me want to build an engine lol.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your build makes me want to build an engine lol.
It's been fun, other than the cost, but the big hurdle is going to be the actual swap. No garage, gravel driveway, and it's my DD. Going to take a logistical miracle.

That being said there are so many used LS engines for sale you'd be in a good spot to set up some alerts for what you want, and just make an offer on one.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been fun, other than the cost, but the big hurdle is going to be the actual swap. No garage, gravel driveway, and it's my DD. Going to take a logistical miracle.

That being said there are so many used LS engines for sale you'd be in a good spot to set up some alerts for what you want, and just make an offer on one.

I have hopes my yukon 6.0 lasts a long time as it is, and I have spare cars if not, so that helps. that one hopefully stays in place for a while. it's more the transmission that would side line it. I think I can fix anything on it except that magical box.

but you got me wishing it wasn't such a pain to pull the ls3 from my c6. I have wanted to drop a stroker crank in it and a small cam with some new cam bearings in it for a few years now. it just hasn't given me the excuse to pull it or drop it or whatever is the easiest without a lift. those things suck to work on. 10lbs of crap stuffed in a 5lb bag. but your build makes me want to lol.

I hope you get her in there smoothly. I remember the days of being young and trying to race my only car haha. melt a piston at the track on Thursday night and try to get it back together for work on Monday morning. working outside in my mom's back yard lol. good times.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite is when you forget to install a part because it was sitting in a box, inside another box, out of sight.... in this case the timing chain dampener. So off came the harmonic balancer, timing cover, oil pump & pickup tube, and timing chain & sprocket.
PqG5lVu.jpg

Added the part and buttoned it all back up while the workgroup VP rambled on in a Teams call about how we continue to set records, but that we also need to do more. He's definitely in touch with the shareholder's expectations. At least I'm getting paid to learn a new hobby. New progress was finally getting the oil pan & gasket installed, while explaining to the kids about how it's a big-brain move to replace your engine with one you've assembled in your basement before the one in your car expires.

lN99ydI.jpg

Also emailed BBP about the logistics of getting a 6.0 tune to get this thing eventually firing/idling/running, and whether the LY6 or LMG injectors I have will be sufficient for a Truck Norris clone cam. (god I hope so)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we don't see anything like that on plugs I've read?????
sorry

ahh. I thought you might know what the brown specks were.

I honestly think the plug is either to hot or to much timing in the tune and it ate the plugs. but it sounds like it's driven hard and has a lot of miles on the plugs. once you start racing around the plugs become a maintenance item changed more often and a way to keep an eye on the tune and how the engine is doing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ahh. I thought you might know what the brown specks were.

I honestly think the plug is either to hot or to much timing in the tune and it ate the plugs. but it sounds like it's driven hard and has a lot of miles on the plugs. once you start racing around the plugs become a maintenance item changed more often and a way to keep an eye on the tune and how the engine is doing.
those plugs had maybe 50k on them, but yes driven hard. still need to connect with blackbear and then wait for a response or fix. little busy myself but i'll get there

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those plugs had maybe 50k on them, but yes driven hard. still need to connect with blackbear and then wait for a response or fix. little busy myself but i'll get there

oh yeah. I'm just thinking out loud.

I do hope black bear has some thought. they may also just think 50k they did well for that.

it's pretty common in the ls performance car world to just throw 1 step colder heat range than stock in them. you. probably drive your heavy suv harder than most drive their cars haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoffeeCat