What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 35$ Amazon one and a 300$ Elite engineering one. honestly besides the fittings and hoses being nicer and it being a 3 port with check valves and stuff. the inside stuff that filters the air is basically the same level. I would say the 35$ one works well and catches a good amount of oil on my yukon.

that one linked with the filter on top unless there some kinda check valve built in to the top filter, is going to be a huge vacuum leak. as I understand it a vented catch can is for when you're not routing back into the intake. race car stuff that vents it all?
I have one from Amazon. About $30 a few years ago. It has the baffle plate and the metal mesh material, plus a 1/4 turn drain. The bracket bolted right up to existing holes on the alternator bracket.

I honestly don’t see much oil caught in it though. I get maybe 1/2 teaspoon when I remember to drain it.

IMG_2132.jpeg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a $35 catch can on Amazon that looks very nice, internally.
I would most likely upgrade the hoses myself and grab a spare O ring for the cap seal.
https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-Universal-Reservoir-Aluminum/dp/B081N392BN/ref=sr_1_1

With the really cold, damp weather here, I want one to catch all that crap.
The Yukon left for WY only about a month after I purchased it so I did not get the chance to do everything I wanted to it.
Now that I am in WY with the Yukon I want to get it squared away.

I see it comes with the ball of steel wool now, that's good. Used to have to buy that separate.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one from Amazon. About $30 a few years ago. It has the baffle plate and the metal mesh material, plus a 1/4 turn drain. The bracket bolted right up to existing holes on the alternator bracket.

I honestly don’t see much oil caught in it though. I get maybe 1/2 teaspoon when I remember to drain it.

View attachment 437578

I put this one on.. maybe it's just my truck, but it catches what I think of as a log of oil. a buddy put the same one on a ls6 c6 with the valley breather that is said to be better than the valve cover and it catches a lot too.

EVIL ENERGY Baffled Oil Catch Can,Oil Separator Catch Can 300ml Universal Aluminum Black https://a.co/d/3u0KJwB

I don't think it's anything special though.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a $35 catch can on Amazon that looks very nice, internally.
I would most likely upgrade the hoses myself and grab a spare O ring for the cap seal.
https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-Universal-Reservoir-Aluminum/dp/B081N392BN/ref=sr_1_1

With the really cold, damp weather here, I want one to catch all that crap.
The Yukon left for WY only about a month after I purchased it so I did not get the chance to do everything I wanted to it.
Now that I am in WY with the Yukon I want to get it squared away.

the hose seems good, oil resistance. just not long enough for my app. it has an o ring on the can and an extra for the can and the dip stick. but I added some silicone grease to the to o rings and haven't damaged one yet and I check it often.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya it say's for race, but there is a way to make it work
@randeez
not familiar with the elite CC,
the mighty mouse CCs i use have the filter on top, but they have a rubber disc like thingy in there when theres vacuum it allegedly sucks closed. i pulled them out and am just venting to atmosphere tho

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if money is not a concern, I do feel like this is one of the better ones.

you need to add a vacuum port to the air intake at a high air speed location for the 3rd port so it has flow thru it at high throttle when there's no intake vacuum.

and then replace the oil cap with thru clean air side separator

I believe that's the best overall. but also over kill haha.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not familiar with the elite CC,
the mighty mouse CCs i use have the filter on top, but they have a rubber disc like thingy in there when theres vacuum it allegedly sucks closed. i pulled them out and am just venting to atmosphere tho

so you run it open? have ton looked at your fuel trims? mine go crazy if I just forget to put the clean size at the air box back on. I'm curious what venting it does.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like that would bleed off some of the metered air going into the engine.. (blowby)
The intake 'clean' side being open would let unmetered air into the engine.

What would venting actually do?..

Maybe the fuel trims vary a little more?
So long as the blowby is consistent, perhaps it runs as well as stock? (without the oil ingestion)

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I understand, running it wide open is for not running anything back into the intake to be burned. race and drag car stuff. and then if you run boost street car you out the check valve in it, so under high boost wot high blow by you vent it, but then back at idle and part throttle it's back to running normally and running back into the intake.

on my truck when I forget to plug the clean air metered side in, I got 10-15% trims adding fuel pretty quickly because it's a huge vac leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustin Road